Small Interesting Yixing (?) Teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by OakandThistle, Mar 18, 2021.

1. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

I bought this at a Chinese restaurant going out of business sale in 2003. It was a display item in their restaurant. They indicated it was made by an “known” maker but I didn’t get the name. The only mark is under the lid — sorry I don’t know which way is up. It is small ... only 4.5” wide and 3.5” tall. The balls in the lid all rotate; each foot is different; frog on top with fly on spout; petals on body; vine handle. NFS. I also bought a dragon teapot which is nice, but IMO this one is more interesting. Any comments to educate me would be appreciated.

2. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

3. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very Nice!!

judy likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  6. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Thank you. Now I have a style name I can research. Mine may not be old, but I know it goes back 45 years or more.

judy likes this.
  7. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

UPDATE:
    Omg ... never mind! It has been years since I looked at these on eBay. They are practically a dime a dozen! Some very nice teapots at rather inexpensive prices. I doubt I’ll ever find the sig on this one. Thanks for opening my eyes.

judy likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I found those with the search term "lotus seed". I honestly know little about these so you may want to confirm yours is not something better than the links, but you have a starting point at least.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    judy likes this.
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Those look like the same pot - same pictures - maybe from one seller with two IDs in China. However, they are similar.

judy likes this.
  10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

The most valuable Yixing pots are handmade not molded. The best way to tell if is handmade is take a loupe to the inside and see if there are tiny "scratch marks" used to form the pot. Sometimes you can tell by holding the interior to the light at an angle to see the handmade signs.

11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

oopsie old thread sorry for reviving.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted