Small Jade Container - Purpose?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 30, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The reseller believed that this was good quality jade - it is quite translucent for being thick and is mottled with black. Perhaps, someone might comment on this aspect of it, if they wouldn't mind. It's not like I paid a lot for this small container that is 5 inches long, 2 inches tall and 1 inch wide, but where it will be displayed is really dependent on the quality of the jade. It is covered in carved creatures - a dragon, a bird on a fir branch, a frog, and some other things I can't figure out. It also has characters under the lid, and on the bottom front and back. There is so much going on I will put some more details in a second post, though it is really difficult to show some details, as it is high polished and I couldn't figure out how to do it. :(The photo of the whole top has been highly manipulated (the colors are wrong), but that didn't work either.
    I think it is fairly modern, the carving is very basic. I also think it is supposed to represent something and that is what I am asking about. I supposed you could put a cricket in it, but it would die quickly from lack of oxygen :oops:. Not big enough for anything else. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0040.JPG

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like serpentine jade to me, which is a good quality serpentine which bears some resemblance to jade. The carving is inspired by a more archaic style.
    Can't help with the purpose, other than decorative. Maybe @JayBee knows?
    A little casket for a beloved cricket that went to insect heaven?:angelic:

Kiko, with all your jades etc, isn't it time you treated yourself to a gem tester?:)
    Jade is 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale, serpentine is 2.5-5.5. Serpentine jade would be towards the top end of serpentine.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is a covered brush washer?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

He really thought it was something very special. I was unsure, but since he is my friend, I couldn't say no when he was so insistent. I could see it was a hastily carved factory piece. Oh well. From afar, it has a interesting shape and the light passes through it. Nice rock, but it won't go with my special jade pieces. Thank you.

Cricket coffin - I like it.

A gem tester is a great idea. I will look into it. The good ones are a pretty hefty price though. I'll see if I can find some reviews about a more modestly priced one.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Interesting idea. A small brush could be washed in it. Thank you.

7. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I can't be of much help. Not something I know much about. Jade is tricky. There are too many factors at play, and taste is one of them, but "fad" --- for lack of a better word --- is also particularly relevant and dictates the value of and what's considered good jade. A certain color of jade can be "fashionable" and very expensive at times, and then, something else takes over. This I learned from jade dealers back in China. The jade market, according to them, is also manipulated by the dealers, old jade included, although antiques are of course another matter.
    Not much help; sorry.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I like the shape too. The carving isn't so much hastily, as carved according to a certain tradition.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

No Jay Bee. Your comments are very helpful. It puts his passion for the piece into perspective. I didn’t know about the fads in jade. I always assumed their was an hierarchy of jade desirability that was fixed. I have several jade pieces most of which would be in the lower value of jade by any criteria but three pieces that are very nice. I am trying to learn what to look for if something comes my way and your thoughts will put me in a better position to assess them.

bercrystal likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for this insight into the carving. I just thought like new Chinese pottery sloppy equaled quick.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted