Featured small little black pottery vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by billyd3us, Oct 24, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

This little black pottery vase doesn't have a signature or maybe it did but the bottom looks scratched off, any ideas on who might have made this ?

Thank You 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think it may be a miniature from Mata Ortiz, Mexico. Similar to San ildefonso / Santa Clara Pueblos technique (burnished, with matte slip and reduction firing), but the designs look more like Mata Ortiz:

[​IMG]

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's Mexican, from the village of Mata Ortiz, in northern Chihuahua.

It's only been made for the market since the late 1970s, the potters are all Mexican, none claim any tribal affiliation, although many copy designs from U.S. pueblo Indian pottery.

It's hand formed, without the use of a potter's wheel, but in many ways differs from traditional Native American pottery, which it sometimes resembles.

The walls are thinner than comparable Indian pottery, the bottoms are rounded rather than flat, and the bottoms are always polished. But the burnishing and firing techniques are unique to Mata Ortiz, and, unlike Native American black pottery, involves the use of graphite, oil, and kerosene.

judy, UncleChuckTX, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's adorable..........:happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. billyd3us

Thank You

komokwa likes this.
  7. billyd3us

Thank You

judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lots of folks collect miniatures......just cuz it's small, don't mean it's cheap !!

judy likes this.
  9. billyd3us

Thank You komokwa, have a great weekend

judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted