Small Majolica Jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Apr 12, 2018.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Hi there, my first problem piece! I've only had this jug a short time, but I'm keen to get started on identifying it. I love the colours; would you call them drip glaze, or is there some other term for this decoration? I'm in the UK so it will almost certainly be British, but the motif of the harp makes me wonder if it was made in Ireland, Scotland or Wales rather than England, although maybe it was made in England for the Celtic market. There is a rather shallow moulding of a hunting-type hound sitting in a chair on the other side, difficult to see through the glaze, which adds to the idea of a medieval baronial hall. There is nothing on the bottom to indicate manufacturer. I've found a photo of another jug which has similar glaze, but is more cleanly moulded with various kinds of sea life, and has a fish handle - a much classier object. It was described as 19th Century English in the original listing - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/305470787199634441/?lp=true

Here's mine:

majolica - 1.jpg

Duprey and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. ValerieK

Just after posting I spotted online a Wedgwood jug with similar glaze, and it was described as "Whieldon" glaze. A search for Whieldon glaze brings up some more objects, and also one described as "tortoiseshell" glaze, in all kinds of colours. The technique goes back at least to the 18th century, but I'm not that optimistic! Staffordshire does seem to be the main centre for its production, though.

Duprey and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome! Your pitcher is considered majolica (which you seem to know) and is probably second half of the 19th C, some goes into the 20th C but it's not 18th C. Whieldon ware. Many majolica pieces are not marked making it difficult to identify the maker.

I did look through my lone majolica book but this particular pattern isn't in it. But then many others aren't either. They refer to this glaze as mottled but it's likely to have other descriptions.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The harp motif looks Irish to me.

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yes, and that looks like a shamrock in the middle, above the harp.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. ValerieK

I agree with moreotherstuff that Ireland seems to be the most likely theme, and thanks, SBSVC, for spotting the shamrock, which clinches it in my opinion. I don't know of any Irish majolica manufacturers so it looks like it may have been made to export to the Irish market, or perhaps to appeal to the many exiled Irish people in England in the second half of the 19th century. That would add historical interest to its physical attractiveness. Maybe the manufacturer is now unknowable, unless a descendant of the original potters has something similar in their family heirlooms!

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's not Wedgwood. I'd agree made for export, or as a cheap reminder of home. WHat's the base like?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. ValerieK

Here is a view of the base.

Harp - 1.jpg

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Duprey

Duprey Member

Wheildon Ware had a short life in original production, 1740-1775. Forms are usually fruits and veggies. Interesting note: the manufacturers often buried broken pieces to guard against imitation.

10. Duprey

Duprey Member

Thomas Whieldon in fact was from Staffordshire. Wedgwood was his managing partner.

Draft saved Draft deleted