Small metal jug

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by fuzzums, Feb 21, 2021.

1. fuzzums

fuzzums New Member

Hi
    Wondering if anyone can help me with some information about this small metal jug, there are no hallmarks. It looks really ornate, so wondering if it is worth anything. Any info on it's origins would be gratefully received. Also, should I try to clean it?
    Many thanks 20210221_230025.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

When it's morning in The Netherlands, sure Any Jewelry will have information to share. In the meantime, do not clean. You will risk removing patina and harming value. You might post some additional photographs, however. The other side (if the design differs, the handle and the bottom.)

Debora

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  3. fuzzums

fuzzums New Member

Thank you Debora. I've attached some more photos. 20210221_231342.jpg 20210221_231424.jpg

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Debora

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is probably silver, guessing Sri Lanka?

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Present, bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Well, maybe not that last bit....

Lovely little jug. I don't know the size, but it could have been part of a milk and sugar set.
    It was made in Myanmar when it was still Burma. The snake handle is a very nice detail.
    If you give it a bit of a clean you may find that it is silver, so I give you the go ahead for a gentle clean. Nothing drastic please, a wash in soapy water and a wipe with a silver polishing cloth will do.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Firemandk and judy like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this is Indian (not Burmese), the cobra handle and villager scene is a favourite of the Kutch region. It is probably from a tea set originally and it is most likely early 20th century, pre WW2.

They can be silver, but they are also commonly silver plated or made from very low grade (melted rupees) silver, so you need to test it to be sure. The ones made from rupee silver often makes the acid go red to start then turns a blue/green colour due to the high copper content.

If it is silver in the UK a small cream jug like this is £50-100 depending on condition or quality.

judy, DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd thought Indian, too.

judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

blooey, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Not Kutch, I have a mild addiction to Kutch silver, and a small collection. It is more Islamic in style, with a lot of scrollwork.
    I did consider that option too, it is the same general area. These village scenes went from Burma to the adjoining part of eastern India, to Calcutta and a bit further south.

Given the yellow colour, I still don't know if it actually is silver, although the detail certainly looks the part.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Firemandk, judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

The cobra handle and the coconut tree (or is it a palm tree of the non-coconut type ?) made me think India .

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I hadn't even noticed it was a cobra, but you're right, it has those flat side things in its neck.
    I think it is a palm tree of the coconut type.;)