Small Moorcroft Moonlit Blue lidded jar...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Melissa Brown, May 16, 2017.

1. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Hello!
    I have this small Moorcroft Moonlit Blue piece that I'm having trouble finding any reference of. It's not the inkwell that's well documented- no holes on top. Too small for a ginger jar. I'm stumped!

It's been in the family since it was new.

I have a bunch of photos, I may have to add them in several posts...

Thanks for any input you may have! IMG_7096.JPG IMG_7086.JPG IMG_7094.JPG

2. Melissa Brown

IMG_7090.JPG IMG_7088.JPG IMG_7084.JPG IMG_7091.JPG IMG_7086.JPG Here are a few more photos...

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    judy and bobsyouruncle like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Where in the hell is the green with envy emoji? I totally love your jar!!!!!
    greg

4. Melissa Brown

I love it too! I couldn't believe it when I found it...the lid was separated from the jar and I was bummed that maybe it had been lost, it made even less since without the lid...then I unwrapped the lid and did a big 'ol happy dance!

Do you know what it was intended to be? A ring jar perhaps?

5. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Melissa, you can post all those photos full image like your first three, which is the preference here. These will all fit in a single post. If you have a chance, go back and edit to "full image". Gorgeous pot.

Melissa Brown likes this.
  7. Melissa Brown

Thank you, Lucille! Changed the photos. I accidentally posted them as thumbnails and didn't realize I could change them! Still learning the nuts & bolts of the site ;-)

8. Melissa Brown

IMG_7100.PNG IMG_7099.JPG
    Interesting, it would hold about 1 tablespoon (estimating).

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think it has no real purpose other than to look pretty. It's purpose won't affect its desireability, any how.

Melissa Brown and judy like this.
  10. Melissa Brown

Thanks, Ownedbybear, I mostly wanted to know what to call it when I sell it. (That and I'm curious!) I also don't want to miss any rabid Moorcroft collectors looking for whatever it is, if it is something ;-)

Mustard jar
    Trinket jar
    Whimsy
    Miniature ginger jar
    ....????

11. silverthwaite II

To me and Winnie-the-Pooh, it is a delightful "pot to put things in."

As a dedicated centerpiece creator, here's what I would do.

Place pot in clear glass pie plate-shaped container -- not in the middle, but off to one side. Add water. Fill the pot with blue and white pansies and place lid a few inches away with a frog on top -- one of those dear little pottery frogs with a gold crown on its head.

Add a few smooth small stones, and a sprinkling of little pachysandra leaves (or that other groundcover that produces little blue flowers*). If you happen to have a low, edged, cut-crystal bowl, that would be perfect!

*Owned will know what I mean...

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

13. Ownedbybear

Campanula poscharskyana . ;)

Small lidded jar will do. They will be looking for age and pattern.

14. silverthwaite II

Thanks, Susan! And, owned, Vinca I know -- but Campanula Posch...etc., I will have to look up.

15. silverthwaite II

I looked it up. Isn't it pretty! Am not aware of ever having seen it before. Vinca was the one I was thinking of, but a Posh Campanula would do very nicely.

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I just did. Serbian Bellflower, according to the Western Garden Book

17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Bakersgma likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

That campanula rampages all over my garden. I love it: it's a blue carpet in late May and early June. Buy one plant, and it's yours forever, but it grows under trees, in dry dark spots, so very useful. Speedwell is also rather pretty. I grow Vinca - lesser periwinkle - with variegated leaves.

19. Melissa Brown

Say it slowly, it sure looks the same! I'm with you, I can't tell if it's joined or maybe sitting in an indentation? It looks like there's either a shadow or a pool of glaze at its base. Good find! That was an auction from 2006! I wonder what other lovely things were included in that desk set originally!

And yes, that second inkwell is the one I was referring to. I've seen several of those. The lid on that one is domed, mine is flat.

Thanks for the sleuthing :happy:

20. Melissa Brown

I love campanula too...dependable, pretty, old fashioned...

Draft saved Draft deleted