Featured Small Nephrite Jade Vase

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 29, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_6932.JPG IMG_6933.JPG IMG_6934.JPG IMG_6935.JPG Wonder what that is. The shape is somewhat off for a vase. Kind of too short and like the top part is missing. Not a cup with that round shape. Maybe. small planter or a brush holder?

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think nephrite jade, pretty much by definition, is green.

3. kardinalisimo

No such definition. Nephrite jade as well as jadeite jade come in almost all colors.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. The famous 'mutton fat' jade is also nephrite. And if taken literally, nephrite refers to kidney, because like jadeite jade it is thought to be benificial to the kidneys.

Nephrite jade brush pot. There is damage, that influences any value significantly.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. kardinalisimo

Indeed, there is a crackline but it's brown which means that it was there for a while and appears to be stable. As far as I know jade cracks can anneal with the time.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I thought I saw a large chip near the rim, photo 4, or is that just on the photo?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. kardinalisimo

Oh, the chip. Not that large but it's there.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

9. Any Jewelry

Yes, that was the damage I meant.
    Very oops.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. KevinTN

KevinTN Member

Do you know the age of it?
    Kevin

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. kardinalisimo

I wish I did. Trying to find a similar one but no luck yet. The lack of carvings and tool marks make dating it difficult.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Older jade is notoriously difficult to date. There are tool marks on the inside btw.
    My guess is first half of the 20th century. Nice detail is the little band around the foot rim. Stand later date, but made for the brush pot.
    Just noticed a chip on the foot rim as well. Oh dear.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. kardinalisimo

That is the one I'm talking about. No other chips. I just re-read you was talking about photo #4. What did you see there? The top left? Just light reflection.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

So it is just the chip on the footrim? That's a lot better, but still a bit of damage.
    The market for Chinese items is determined by the Chinese nowadays, and they want perfection.

15. kardinalisimo

Already freeling the bad luck that broken jade brings :)
    Listed it two nights ago, starting $99. Next morning saw there was a bid buy I also realized all of my listings are not showing the photos besides the main ones, due to the new photobucket policy.
    I can't replace the images as there is already a bid. I managed to embed them in the extra description that the revision provides. But that is at the bottom of the page. Most people probably won't scroll all the way down.

I don't know if the Chinese bidder saw only the main photo or the pictures got screwed up after the bid was placed. It's important that he has seen all the damages to avoid problems. I contacted him to tell him about the issue with the photos and suggested to cancel the auction and relist. No answer yet.
    I wonder if I should still cancel it ot let it stay the way it is.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I would cancel and re-list it, that way you will avoid any problem. As you say, many people don't bother to scroll down the pages. I saw your post about Photobucket, that sucks that all your photos are gone. Hope you can work it all out:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. kardinalisimo

Well, not quite gone. They just can't be viewed outside photobucket website. I already started migrating them somewhere else. It will be a long process.
    It is possible to download whole albums from photobucket but the Captcha is slowing me down. I was trying to upload the URL links of the photobucket photos on other sites but they still show the p500 ad. I don't know why. They are supposed to be uploaded to a new server and then won't drain anymore photobucket traffic.

18. Any Jewelry

I agree with cxgirl, I'd cancel it, and send the Chinese bidder a kind note. They can bid again, and you'll have a listing with all the pictures and information.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  19. kardinalisimo

Well, I think it's too late, there is a second bid. I hope they did see all the pictures or at least know good English to read the description.
    It's not easy to communicate with Chinese buyers.Some, but not all of them, are usually unresponsive or with poor English.

Oh, an US Ebay member messaged me yesterday with the simple "It's not jade". I asked him to elaborate but never wrote back. I have no doubts this being nephrite.

20. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I too agree that you should re-list it, to be safe.
    Maybe the person who messaged you thought it was soap stone. That's what I thought it was but of course I am uneducated with jade.
    Hope it all works out for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted