Featured Small older box, velvet sides mirrored top w/birds

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm keeping this for now, but was curious about age.

60s? 30s? The top has a mirrored finish. Thanks for taking a look.

I feel like I've seen similar but couldn't come up with any comparables. What keywords would you use to search?

box3.jpg box4.jpg box5.jpg box6.jpg box7.jpg box8.jpg

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I'm definitely thinking MADE IN ITALY.

The top has that Florentine tole-like picture and coloring, and the velvet box is also likely Italian.

I have a velvet box from Italy that I've had since the early 1970's. (It was new then.) It's pretty faded now, but I see similarities to yours:
    img0 (217).jpg img0 (218).jpg img0 (219).jpg

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think Italian, too, looks typical.

Lucille.b and SBSVC like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Mine is all some kind of paper (??) construction, no metal hinge, but otherwise has that same velvet and Italy seems a likely candidate.

Thanks!

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  5. Lucille.b

One other question. This is sort of a "reverse" painted look although I think some kind of transfer under the glass. Do you think those black stress or craze lines under the glass (that surround the shape of the birds) are a bit of separation from the shape of the transfer that was applied?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I'm thinking it was a decal that perhaps wasn't cut out too carefully(?)

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Maybe that's what is going on. All of this is under the glass, but perhaps part of construction. Thanks!

Just had an idea, could this be some kind of mini-sewing box?? The top part (next to my thumb in photo 4) is sort of padded. No evidence anyone put any needles in that part, suppose it could be used for small hat pins or something, or maybe just decorative.

8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

It looks like someone was trying to outline or highlight the doves with the black.
    Patd

Draft saved Draft deleted