Small Orange, green and yellow dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tricia Harr, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

Evening everyone, is there a name of this type of glass? Possible maker? 2019-09-27-01-29-49.jpg 2019-09-27-01-30-08.jpg 2019-09-27-01-30-24.jpg I searched but I can only find swirled colors..
    tia

2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That one is modern Chinese, though, the base is a giveaway.

4. Mill Cove Treasures

OBB, can you explain the differences of the bases for those of us who haven't had experience with this glass?

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That unpolished, coarsely ground grey finish can indicate that the piece is modern and Chinese.

dgbjwc and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sorry! Yes of course. I'd expect a made on Murano piece, say, or Bohemian 1930s ish one to have a nice fire polished base or a proper ground and polished pontil. These almost unfinished coarse grey bases, no polishing, are typical of a fair bit of modern Chinese and Asian glass. The bowl is also a bit coarser, for want of a better word, than I'd expect of a 30s piece, and the glass casing is a bit too thick and opaque.

Have a google on Welz spatter glass, you'll see what I mean.

[​IMG]

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Draft saved Draft deleted