Small Painting of Sailing Ship - Age?

Discussion in 'Art' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jan 15, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The subject matter of this small painting that including the oval frame is 6 3/4" tall and 4 3/4" at it's widest point is unremarkable, but it is clearly hand painted and signed. My question is do you think it is decorator art from an earlier time? Or just a contrived piece from a modern art mart. The reason I think it might be earlier is the wood insert that holds it in it's frame and the tiny nails that keep it there. My purpose in asking this question is to see what matters in a piece like this. If you will help me with any comments, I would very much appreciate it.

IMG_8729.jpg IMG_8730.jpg IMG_8731.jpg IMG_8732.JPG IMG_8733.JPG IMG_8734.JPG IMG_8735.JPG IMG_8736.JPG IMG_8737.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    judy likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I see it as seaport tourist art. To me it has a feel of the 1940s - 50s, similar to this type of household art.
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 8.09.42 PM.png

Are just trying to learn how to identify an older work, a amateur work, etc.? At a glance, I see an older work in the style. I also see an amateur in not knowing the subject very well. The last mast stands proud up high, yet is not connected to the ship. The middle mast has part of a yardarm missing as well. And none of this matters if it's used to adorn a space that does not allow for artistic scrutiny. ;)

James.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this James. This makes a lot of sense. I buy tourist junk when I travel. It reminds me of various places and experiences. I like those dates. Probably hung on someone's wall until it was damaged.

judy and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted