Small pottery bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by geoff956, Sep 3, 2022.

1. geoff956

geoff956 New Member

Hi,
    I bought this small bowl with a lot of other stuff many years ago and I have no idea of it's purpose or value,
    If anyone can shed light on it I would be most grateful. Many thanks in advance. IMG_5644-001.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Googling Assouan yields connections to the Egyptian location of the Aswan Dam on the Nile and the Nubian Museum. I get the feeling from the writing on the bottom that this was some kind of souvenir.

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SMALL EGYPTN BOWL.jpg NOT totally sure how much this helped, as it's maybe an Egyptian name, but I enlarged, inverted, then reverted, and tried to remove ONLY the black/ or dirty around the lower letters.....maybe someone else can read the name????

Boland and bercrystal like this.
  4. Bakersgma

If you mean the word between Assouan and 1881 - it's Nubia. A place name, not a person name.

BoudiccaJones and bercrystal like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting with lots of rustic charm. But yes,seemingly a souvenir thing. But I don’t know what to make of the 1891 date and age at all. As as a souvenir I would have expected a 1981 date.

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Maybe for oil or ointment? (But I don’t know)

7. Bakersgma

My guess would be the 1881 would be the year in which the original was found.

Boland likes this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Good comment. That makes alot more sense. I should have also realised that..

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that sounds plausible .....

Draft saved Draft deleted