Small Repousse Hexagonal Silver Colored Box - Source?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by KikoBlueEyes, Sep 8, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I have been searching for hours to determine the origin of this small (2 1/2 inch) silver colored hexagonal box with cooper overlay whose repousse designs include cobras and Stupas (?). I think the source can be ascertained by the mark on the bottom but I couldn't figure out what script it is. Perhaps someone can help me figure it out. IMG_4010.jpg IMG_4006.JPG IMG_4015.jpg IMG_4017.JPG IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4013.jpg

kyratango and judy like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The buildings look like Angkor Wat.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I've never been there. So maybe a souvenir then.

kyratango likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

[​IMG] IMG_4006.JPG

@Hollyblue I think you're onto something there. The upper pictures were identified as Cambodian Silver Marks and the lower picture is my box. The script seems similar. Especially the first character in both pictures.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, Cambodian mark and craftsmanship. There are many silver workshops in Siem Reap near Angkor Wat.

I just realized how much Angkor Wat looks like Prambanan on Java. Prambanan pre-dates Angkor by two centuries.

6. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for confirming the country. It was so sad, tarnished and unloved on the resale shop's shelf. I initially thought India from the cobras, but I wanted to take it home and find out it's secrets.

Hmm. Looks like I have to add Java to my future travel list.:)

7. KikoBlueEyes

By the way, I am very grateful to @MrNate, as I spotted the potential silver from his comments about checking for thin. If it is silver, then he is to be thanked.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And you did! The cobras are seven-headed Nagas, a favourite theme in Cambodian art. They are omnipresent in Angkor Wat:
    [​IMG]

Of course you do.:happy:
    Something to get you in the mood:
    Many people visit Prambanan at night, it is stunning with a full moon

[​IMG]

About an hours drive from Prambanan is the famous Borobudur, the largest Buddhist monument in the world, shaped like a Vajrayana Buddhist mandala. Here it is with the sacred Merapi volcano in the background:
    [​IMG]

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Beautiful indeed. Just moved up! :):)

Any Jewelry likes this.