Featured Small ruby red glass canister, brass lid, some kind of fabric in lid.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Got this at an estate sale because I liked the deep red color of the glass and could see was older. Just a few inches tall, 5" or so.

Would this be for smelling salts? The glass is narrowed quite a bit at the top when you open the lid. You can see the odd sort of fabric pressed into the lid.

P.S. Sorry about the dust... hadn't wiped it clean yet. r1.jpg r1b.jpg r2.jpg r6.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It might be ..sometimes they have a small clear glass stopper too. Bohemian I believe.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is that some kind of marking on the collar of the lid in the first picture? Or just a scratch or discoloration?

4. Lucille.b

No markings I can see. There is a spot of some kind of green discoloration on the brass, but nothing there.

The fabric in the lid is sort of "hair like" maybe horse hair (??) or maybe just an old puff or something. Have not removed it -would rather leave it if possible because it's clearly been there for years.

Wondered if a little spoon or something might be missing.

5. Lucille.b

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Ruby glass perfume bottle missing the glass stopper.
    Most of them don't have stuffing inside the lid. I think that was added later.
    I'd remove it and clean the bottle.

Wait for
    @bercrystal to give an opinion.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

FINALLY.....the very LAST image of that listing WASN'T blurry!!!!! I still like yours @Lucille.b !!!!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.:) I used to see a lot of these in England and Scotland. Very pretty, but the missing stopper influences the value.:( The double ones are much more rare.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Sweet bottle Lucille:) here is one similar to yours with the stopper. I've had them before with cork inside the top, so maybe your stuffing is to replace that. I think it was added to keep the stopper in place when the bottle was in your purse or bag. 2216fef5ed8e77e0a8ea1eecc2950b75.jpg

10. Lucille.b

That makes total sense. A little fabric or whatnot to hold the (missing) stopper in. Thanks!

I think this will clean up well. That black ink-like mark on the top just came off with a little pressure from my fingernail, so just need to see if I can wipe off some of that verdigris. No chips in the glass which is nice.

One thing, I detect zero scent of perfume. And am I ever sensitive to perfume. Wonder if it was never used?

The sale was an interesting one, lots of mid-20th century things mostly, but a few antiques. (Both the Foster and Bailey sterling jar and the Louis Marx tin wind up came from the same sale. ) I think former did a little collecting or had things from relatives. She had a window display of small glass --older glass salts, singletons. This piece was with others for $2, and just loved the color.

I got a few other small lidded clear glass (mystery pieces). One might be an ink well, not sure. Will post later.

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think it may have been possibly part of a small travel kit & was made to hold perfume. Five inches is a little big for a purse perfume.

If it were mine I would give that baby an alcohol bath to get rid of all the grime & dust. The glass will most likely gleam when you are done.

We of course will want to see after photos. :D:D:D

12. Lucille.b

@bercrystal Thanks for taking a look, Peggy.

I didn't go measure when I wrote that it was 5", was just giving an estimate an turns out I was completely off. It is just over 3 1/2 inches to the top of the lid.

As for cleaning, would you recommend submerging the whole thing in rubbing alcohol with lid included? If yes, for how long? Also we have the 91% Isopropryl here. Is that what I should use?

13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That size would be more likely a purse or travel. I also agree with blooey about it being Bohemian & given the age of the item the original owner could have used it for perfume to apply or something nicer to smell than what was around her. ;):p:D

I have a small spray bottle that puts out a fine mist that I use on my bottles as long as there is no labels or designs it would harm. I also use cotton applicators (I keep a supply of 3" & 6" with wood sticks on hand because they hold up better then the qtip variety) moistened with alcohol to get into the corners. Pour a little bit inside the bottle & give it a few shakes. This is where the 6" ones come in handy for cleaning & drying. You could moisten a paper towel and clean it up that way.

14. Lucille.b

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    horsehair for long transportation distances; much more flexible and protective than the normal cork discs.

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted