Featured Small Russian sailor? sitting on log. Who made it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, May 23, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This piece is marked on the bottom but unfortunately, I have no idea who made it & if it is really a sailor or if the holder has a purpose.

It is 3 3/4" tall.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

judy, pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The base appears to read Bespalov, although I don't think it helps much. Possibly a toothpick or match hold given the size.

bercrystal and judy like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I also think it is a match or toothpick holder also. He appears to have that spaghetti detail found on many MIJ Christmas items. Cute.

Ce BCA and bercrystal like this.
  4. bercrystal

Thank you for the translation!! :kiss::kiss: You were correct that the word bespalov did not get me anywhere. :rolleyes::rolleyes::hilarious:

The opening on the "holder" is only about 1/2" across so it wouldn't hold many matches or toothpicks. :confused::confused:

I thought the same thing when I first saw it. :happy::happy:

My searches using all the keywords I could think of got me nowhere. :(:grumpy:

Ce BCA and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the holder with the small opening is for stubbing out a cigarette.

bercrystal likes this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I agree with Ascot as the firgure has a stubbed cig. I have sold Smokey the Bear cig stubbers with a whole the same size.

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. bercrystal

Thanks @ascot & @Lark !! :happy::happy::happy:

I will look into this possibility also.

Draft saved Draft deleted