Featured Small Satsuma Procession Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by drg642, Oct 30, 2019.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This vase is about 5 inches tall. I looked through Gotheborg Satsuma section and could not find either mark. Does anyone recognize the marks, and which way is right side up? Also, any assessment of quality level? Average, better than average?
    Thanks!
    pro1.JPG pro2.JPG pro3.JPG pro4.JPG pro5.JPG pro6.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I couldn't find it either, which makes me think this might from from one of the areas other the traditional Satsuma region that borrowed the style.

I'm guessing here too - but think the second pic of the mark is correct - the background looks like a fan shape.

Maybe @Mat can help.

Aquitaine and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, my feeling is that this is a Chinese piece imitating Japanese Satsuma, late 20th c or even newer...

4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you Bakers and Mat. I appreciate the help.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mat!

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Agree with Mat, also piece is porcelain, so not satsuma ..gilding very reminiscent of Macao decorators.

7. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Blooey.

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted