Small semi-translucent dishes w/ gold design - jade?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Nov 12, 2014.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

These were on a shelf lot I got last Tuesday & I had no idea who made them or what they were made of, but I thought they were wonderful. They feel cold to the touch like some type of stone material & are highly polished. The first thing I thought of when I saw them was some type of carved jade. They are 3/4" to the side edge.

I actually have 3 different colors of these dishes. These blue one, 2 lighter blue almost white color & 4 a pale yellow green color.

Anyone have any ideas as to what these are made from & what they are supposed to be used for?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss:
    Peggy

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Glass methinks. Opalescent perhaps. Individual dishes for anything or maybe even finger bowls.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Maybe salt or spice dishes? Just throwing out an idea.
    :)

4. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Are they heavier than glass?

5. bercrystal

Are they heavier than glass?

They are definitely heavier & feel colder when held to your cheek than glass. It also doesn't sound like glass when you tap it with something.

If no one comes up with definitive before Friday evening I'll take one with me to the auction. There is a guy who really knows his rocks & minerals so he might be able to help me out.

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Gosh, I looked all over and nothing :( They are very nice bowls :)

I looked under quartz bowls,jade,semi transparent,semi translucent,and finger bowls and evey other key word inbetween. Oh,and opalescent. Could not find anything close to yours. Just looked under salts too. No luck.

I remember I ate at a Chinese restaurant and ordered chicken and they placed little bowls on the table with a dipping salt.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The color seems to be very even and consistent for stone, but this is an instance where I think you just can't tell from a photo.

9. bercrystal

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! :kiss:

I think moreotherstuff is correct about not being able to tell from a photo on these pieces.

I am taking them with me tomorrow night & will let you know if I am able to learn anything new.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

With my failing eyesight, the pics are too small to see them clearly, but from what I can see, the gilt decoration and the mention of other colors, French opaline glass was my initial impression...

~Cheryl

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

You could take them to a jeweler, with a gem tester they can tell if it's quartz, jade or glass.

12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I think flint glass. That's why it feels heavy.
    A agree with French, circa 1870.
    Clam broth comes to mind for the translucence.
    Opaline works too.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. bercrystal

I took them to the auction last night & my buddy told me they are definitely glass & not some type of mineral. He found a couple of tiny bubbles in the one he looked at with his loupe.

I did some looking around with the flint glass lead & I think it might be a real possibility. Some of the older drawer pulls & curtain tie-back pieces had the same opalescence I see in these bowls.

I think for now I am just going to hold onto them & put them on a shelf until I can find something a little more concrete to put into a listing. I sold 2 pieces off the shelf for more than I paid for the shelf at the auction so I am good. ;)

Thanks to everyone for the help with these pieces!!! :kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted