Small signed Willem de Kooning Poster

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I bought this for $10 at a consignment shop a couple of years ago, I figured it was the only way I would ever own a de kooning anything. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on what it was? Do you think it was something that got handed out at exhibitions? Was he know to do signings like that? I looked at the signature with a good magnifying glass and it looks live. It measures about 10" by 7". IMG_1371.jpg IMG_1373.jpg IMG_1374.jpg

stracci and Houseful like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It looks faded. What's the title of the piece?

Debora

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Woman 1?
    75166CA4-4451-48AB-AD0A-1B11196DA66C.jpeg

judy likes this.
  4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Yes, it has faded. I hadn't looked at the back, it was hinged to the mat. Here is a pic of the back. I don't see a title anywhere. I would call the material that it is printed on, card stock. IMG_1375.jpg

judy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Woman 1 as above. 1950-1951. Original in MOMA.

Debora

6. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm always cautious when a seller of a $2,500 item with 99.5% Positive feedback posts only 3 out of focus photographs and provides his own COA.

Debora

JayBee likes this.
  8. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

I agree. Any COA is virtually worthless. Comparing signatures on two items which appear to be in the same series, the signatures are not identical which points me to being original signatures. Now are they de Kooning’s signature is another matter. My guess is that they are. (But then I am always optimistic.) I would certainly like to know what is on the back of the one on eBay.

9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Also bear in mind that these are not signed works of art but rather reproductions with what might be the artist’s autograph. Something tells me his autograph is not worth that kind of money.

JayBee likes this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have to ask, does anyone besides me find this a frightening image?

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I couldn’t have it on a wall I could see.

Draft saved Draft deleted