Small urn

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ifeelpretty, Dec 29, 2020.

1. ifeelpretty

ifeelpretty New Member

Bought this a few years ago and have been looking for info on it. It’s pretty heavy. Seems to be slightly magnetic so I don’t think it’s bronze or if it is it’s mixed with something else. My guess is iron. I thought maybe sugar bowl or salt cauldron or urn...can’t find anything similar.
    No makers marks of any kind. Handles are scrolled and the feet have carving in them. Any insight would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I took the liberty of reposting your photograph as a Full Image so it was easier for everyone to see.

Debora

2802F944-74B7-457B-BCF3-AE65217987FF 2.jpg

3. ifeelpretty

ifeelpretty New Member

Thanks!

Debora likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, IFP.

Please provide measurements. How heavy is it in pounds? Can you take pictures of the inside of both the lid and the lower part? What kind of place did you buy it at? Retail store, antique shop, thrift, yard sale, estate sale?

5. ifeelpretty

ifeelpretty New Member

5F957308-41F9-4660-A505-51A8F18556B7.jpeg A107FBCD-6707-474E-9A7B-B012D45C00FF.jpeg A107FBCD-6707-474E-9A7B-B012D45C00FF.jpeg thanks for asking.
    10” tall by about 9” wide
    5 pounds.
    Bought at a little antique store in Iowa. Exterior is smooth, interior is a little rougher.

6. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

That seems rather tall for a sugar bowl, but I’d probably put sugar packets in it. I have no idea what its use would have been. Most of the tea or coffee canisters I’ve seen have a label on them (and are ceramic’, and some sort of seal (my old ones have cork). I’m curious to see what everyone else’s opinions are. Maybe it’s not for food use at all.