Small victorian ? bulb pot ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marzena, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Marzena

Marzena Well-Known Member

And once again: is it victorian? I tried to find the pattern with magpies and daphne, I am certain, that I've seen it before, but now I cannot find it and have no idea, where i found it, just a simple tabula rasa state . I need a help with a direction of research, please :)
    20190806_111448_resize_29.jpg 20190806_111241_resize_47.jpg 20190806_120437_resize_16.jpg 20190806_120406_resize_53.jpg
    Is it a transferware??
    20190806_105713_resize_19.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think the plant is holly/ilex if that helps. It appears to be some sort of applied decoration as there are creases/lines in the design. It may be a decal.

3. Marzena

It's again something new for me. Thanks!

Mugzinnys and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Background has airbrushing, so 1920s is more likely.

Holly, yes.

kyratango, Mugzinnys, Marzena and 2 others like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is pre WWI.
    Austrian or German
    Sugar bowl.

Mugzinnys and Marzena like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

This was a popular style for many years from maybe 1900 through the 1920's. That could be why it looks familiar. Marked examples are unusual but those that are marked usually have simply the words Germany or Austria. I haven't seen this mold before and the winter decoration is charming. But these items are out of favor right now and the hairline will affect resale value.
    Don

7. Marzena

Oh, I want to put my daffodils bulbs here, so resale doesn't matter). Thank you all people, now, I know where to find more :)

Mugzinnys likes this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It will look lovely with daffodils. I would make sure to have a saucer of some kind underneath it to protect your table surfaces. Sometimes these things leak or "sweat" on the bottom. Also do not use if you see crazing. It can leak through and hurt the decoration. Distilled water can help prevent mineral staining on the interior.
    Don

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Line it with a piece of thick polythene, too.

Marzena and Mugzinnys like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I always use paste wax to seal all of my smaller planters before planting.
    Most of my urns are huge and either cast iron or cement. My small planters that I use indoors are usually waxed. I use cotton 4X4s to keep the dirt from running out on the bottom.
    greg

dgbjwc, Marzena, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Marzena

Wax sounds perfect, I always have a box with.
    Will be done. Thank you all once again -)!

Draft saved Draft deleted