Featured Small Watercolour

Discussion in 'Art' started by cxgirl, Jun 20, 2016.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I picked up this small watercolour (6 1/4" x 10"). It is terribly dirty, had a piece of wood on the back. No signature. I like this one, not sure if it could be cleaned.
    Guess it could be anywhere. With the cross I assume part of a graveyard.
    Any thoughts on this appreciated!
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC07991.jpg DSC07992.jpg DSC07993.jpg DSC07990.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I love it! But I'm not so sure that's a cross. The white part on which it appears and from which a chimney emerges, seems to be a roof on a lower building we can't see. Rather odd perspective, but I think that brownish building is further in the distance than a quick look might suggest.

cxgirl likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think nicely done. Too bad it is not signed. Didn't immediately think "cross" when seeing the thing in the foreground other than the general shape. What ever it is, it seems a bit out of place and distracting. May have actually been there if this was painted on-site.

cxgirl likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like it as well, but I think it's a fragment of a larger picture. It has borders like it has been a long time in a frame, but only on two edges.

antidiem and cxgirl like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks folks!
    bakers, I think the white is snow, part of a tree to the left of the cross. I guess that could be the roof on another building, but as you say 'a rather odd perspective'. That does look like a chimney though.
    MOS, I didn't even notice that the borders are only on the two sides, so maybe it was cut down at some point.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree that white is snow for sure. And the various "squares" running along the ridge look to me like the vents on top of a greenhouse. That would certainly account for it being "low."

cxgirl likes this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I agree with MOS, an "ordinary" size for a watercolor paper (whether single sheets or a block) would be 8.5"x10". I too believe this was cut down from a larger painting to fit into the smaller frame.

I don't see a church, but the building has a center roof stack that looks, to me, to be phallic by design.

Draft saved Draft deleted