Featured Small Wedgwood Teapot or Hot Water Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jan 12, 2022.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I'm requesting help on dating this little Wedgwood teapot. It measures about 6 1/2 from tip of spout to edge of handle and a little under 3 1/2" tall. The marks on the bottom are Wedgwood with a letter D underneath. Near the edge is the number 152 and there is a ~ mark a bit off to the lower right of the number. I am also curious as to the brown color that seems to have become part of the finish. Was it original or did it accumulate over the years? None of my usual cleaning products have had any effect on it. Do you think I should try a peroxide bath or leave it alone? Curiously I also have a Goebel crow figurine from the 1970's with the same issue. As always your help is much appreciated. I can't seem to say that often enough. Thank you!
    Don
    IMG_20220112_105648732.jpg IMG_20220112_105659666.jpg IMG_20220112_105706909.jpg IMG_20220112_105804891.jpg

pearlsnblume, dude, stracci and 5 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm sure that @Ownedbybear and others can help with this...

I have used this page before for dating Wedgwood. http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/w/wedgwood-date.html
    About halfway down the page there is a chart. It says the letter D should indicate the date 1875. After 1891, the word ENGLAND was added to the mark. In the 20th century they repeated some of the letters but yours doesn't have ENGLAND so should be 1875.

That being said, I don't know what the 152 indicates.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    dude, Hi2022, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Figtree3.

komokwa, dude, Hi2022 and 2 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I surmise that the 152 is a pattern identifier.

dude, Hi2022, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Bakersgma. I kind of suspected that might be the case. So all we really have left is that squiggle line.

komokwa, dude, Hi2022 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

As for the browning, I've never had any luck reversing penetrated stains on ceramics. You also run the risk of getting unintentional future stains into the porous clay by introducing other chemical agents. Probably best to chalk it up to "age patina and charm". All part of the story the object has to tell.

dude, Hi2022, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Darkwing Manor. What a wonderful way to put it. This came with a box lot of white stoneware that I picked up at auction recently along with a butter dish that I already posted and a probably Dudson teapot, sugar, and creamer. I bought the box mainly for this little teapot. The small spout chip also qualifies as "age patina and charm" in my opinion. It's a keeper for me.

komokwa, dude, Hi2022 and 3 others like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd agree on date and pattern number, might have been part of a bachelor set. As to the browning, try a gentle rub with Magic Eraser. That often works.

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ownedbybear! I'll give it a try.

Ownedbybear, komokwa and dude like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted