Featured Small Wooden Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by darryl, Jan 8, 2022.

1. darryl

darryl Well-Known Member

I just purchased this little wooden chair and I would appreciate any information. I thought it was interesting and appeared to be old. I really like the back of the chair with the thin pieces of wood. The seat of the chair is damaged and someone re-stained it, but otherwise it is in fair condition. Thank you!

chair.jpg

chair 2.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What are the dimensions of the chair?

I don't know much about furniture, but have a small child-size chair that reminds me of this one. Or at least, the seat and legs remind me. The back on mine is very different.

darryl and judy like this.
  3. darryl

darryl Well-Known Member

The chair is 15.5 in floor to seat, 31 in. high, and 15 in. wide. Thanks,

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Turns out mine is one inch taller and the seat is one-half inch narrower in width than yours. And there are differences in the seat shape and the turnings on the legs. But probably from the same era?
    20220108_100955.jpg

judy, darryl and Bakersgma like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would think late 19th century. Sometimes called a mule-ear windsor due to the shape of the uprights. Either for a child or has been cut down a bit (would think more the latter).

Fid, judy, darryl and 2 others like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Agreed. Last of the windsor styles before production started with glued plank seats. Probably painted originally and not stained.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My mom had about 12 of those I just sold. I practically had to give them away. She used them for reunions and I got tired of storing them. She still has a few that are painted . I agree . most of them were painted at one time. I live in the mid west and i think one reason why they did not bring good prices is that most people around here need a more substantial chair. They are big people in general .

judy, Aquitaine, darryl and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    judy, Figtree3 and darryl like this.
  9. darryl

darryl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. It is sad these chairs are always so cheap. I couldn’t turn it down for $4.50. I am sure it has a story to tell.

judy, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My great-grandmother had chairs that height, because she was such a peanut her feet didn't reach the floor otherwise. :p A lot of Victorian women were all of 5 feet nothing.

judy, darryl, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Aquitaine

I don't think we ever had a painted chair....or if we did (which I don't remember).... it didn't stay painted long!!!! Growing up, of course!!:happy::happy::happy::)

judy, darryl and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Not that it matters what the different American Windsor styles are called (since these names were given by 20th century dealers and collectors which wouldn't have been recognized back when these were being made anyway). But I'm afraid google let you down this time - Brad had the correct name of "mule-ear" windsor. These were very late in the history of windsors, many of them made in the midwest (ohio etc); that was where the population growth was back then so that is where they needed chairs and other furniture.

Arrow back refers to the spindles that are kind of shaped like elongated arrow heads. Here is a thread about an original painted "arrow-back" windsor I have. Santore dates a very similar painted chair to New England in the first quarter 19th century, so earlier than the mule-eared example. But I think you can see how the later and simpler mule-ear type evolved from an arrow back like this: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/windsor-in-nice-original-paint.41923/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    judy, darryl, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  13. Aquitaine

And I also agree with what you're saying @Jeff Drum, AND Google DID provide quite a few of the arrow type spindles in the beginning of their post as well!! VERY NICE chair you have too!!!

judy and darryl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted