small wooden figure. Indonesian?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by JohnNL, Jul 6, 2018.

1. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Just bought this small wooden statue. Quite crude, height 13 cm. Lighter wood seems to shine through, so stained wood? I think it is indonesian. Anyone any idea where it might have been made? Which Island and/or tribe. Or maybe other country after all?
    Tourist ware, or tribal? I thought, maybe almost too crude for tourists? IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7254.JPG IMG_7253.JPG IMG_7255.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

JohnNL and i need help like this.
  3. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Wow, that's great. Those are so much nicer of course, but the similar top of the head is striking. Thx so much!
    What do you think? Is mine genuine charm, or made for tourists?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

While looking through my 'Korwars and korwar style' book by Van Baaren 1965 (to look into background of a korwar mixing stick i bought wednesday), i saw quite a similar statue that maybe could be a second option: see pictures. I hope the description will be readible. In short this statue is described as a 'MacCluergulf type korwar, sitting type' from the McCluer- and Bintuni Gulf and from the South-western coast of the Vogelkop as far as Salawati.
    The dimensions of this statue is not mentioned, but i guess it is bigger. But could mine maybe also be an amulet from the same area? IMG_7262.JPG IMG_7263.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be. I have never seen a korwar like that, but there are regional differences of course. These are the ones I usually see, sometimes without the shields or the hats, but more elaborately carved:
    [​IMG]

JohnNL likes this.
  6. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Yes, those are the ones I knew, too. So I was very surprised to see the simple one in this book.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted