Smoke glass shot glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tanya, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I was intrigued by this little glass. It was described as a “smoke glass shot glass”.

It looks (to me) hand blown and hand engraved.

I’m curious when this may be from.

Did smoke glass have a period of popularity? If so, when? Does the tiny size indicate anything? (It’s very small for a modern shot glass). Do you think this might have been made by a glass worker in his off time for fun?

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That looks like a little shot glass that would have gone with a cordial set . Id guess 1950s or so.

judy and Tanya like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd say 60's or 70's bar ware....
    folks had a set of those..........

judy and Tanya like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those are usually Czech.

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Interesting! Thanks!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A little mass-produced set, no craftsperson. They weren't expensive in their time.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Dunbar did some similar shapes. I do not recall if they did a "Harlequin" set.. Most likely machine blown.

Tanya likes this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Thank you.

11. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I'm having some trouble seeing sharp enough details on your images. The rim on yours does look irregular, as if it was finished by hand. I would expect to see a very consistent, perfectly finished rim as in Debra's set, if it was machine-made. Also, am I seeing copper-wheel engraving? If so, that's hand-done as well.

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

AE5142C2-2B64-4716-AD9B-7C6B3EB9A236.jpeg
    Yes, it looks *very much* like the set Debra found but it looks a little different to me. I included some more photos that try to show that the rim is not perfectly round and the engraving is varied (not perfect circles and different depths). The bottom of the glass is not even in thickness. It’s a little hard to capture in a picture but I tried! : -) There are bubbles throughout the glass.

Maybe it was a reject of Debra’s set, lol.

Do you think machine blown would explain that?

Again, paid $3 and not expecting it to be valuable but darn it now it’s bothering me! I want to know more.

EA30A71F-FEE2-47A8-889C-D90C9B209EF5.jpeg
    F7527501-955C-4D35-A941-F53A274BADFC.jpeg

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Tanya: Do you think machine blown would explain that?[/QUOTE]

I do not know. I would assume each machine is designed to produce a very specific body, foot and rim shape, unless it is a dual-step process like mold-blown, then hand-finishing. There are infinite ways to work glass, hot and cold. OR- yours could be a prototype, later developed into a machine-produced version. I feel your anguish though, I have a small , inexpensive vinegar carafe that I purchased solely because I couldn't figure out how it was fashioned. The dip-mold impressions are on the INSIDE of the body. It's been nagging at me for years.

Tanya likes this.
  14. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Easy, hand or machine, blow it into a mold to give surface impressions to the outside, then blow it into a smooth interior surface mold. The impressions will be transferred to the inside.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  15. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The machine hods the mold and picks up the molten glass outs it in the mold and the machine blows in air to force the glass into the mold. Cheaper and faster than humans.

Draft saved Draft deleted