Featured Snuff Bottle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kaja, Apr 22, 2018.

1. kaja

kaja Member

I found this bottle and just love it. Wanted to show it off, but also wondered if anyone had ever seen one like it??

Attached Files:

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think at least one member on here has a nice collection, so maybe you can compare notes!!!! Just a heads-up, I'm sure they will want to see more than one angle and if there are any marks on it, etc!!! It looks lovely to me, but other than that, I have zip for knowledge about them!!!! Others will be along, right @Any Jewelry?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The other thing to see is the "spoon" attached to the lid.

4. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

hello Kaja...don't collect snuff bottles, only snuff boxes and snuff mulls, however have sold many cloisonne items over the years. Your snuff bottle is cloisonne and the style of decoration suggests 20th century, I would like to see base and also info re the attachment to lid and the material used , ie bone ,ivory plastic also seal, ??/cork or other material, as at this stage suggest 20th century, no earlier , could be as recent as in the past 20 years as lots of reproduction bottles made. ....regards ..pewter2

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, kaja, great colours.
    As pewter said, it is 20th century. Would love to see more too.
    I love cloisonné, and have several cloisonné snuff bottles. Some like this one, though different colours, and some older ones.
    With the more recent ones it is just that whenever a colour catches my eye, and the quality and price are good, I occasionally fall for them.
    My mother used to have a very pretty set of small vibrant green cloisonné objects in the same 'fluid' colour style as your bottle, including a snuff bottle, small vase, lidded box, small egg on stand. The usual Chinese cloisonné trinkets really, all 1960s-70s, but I always loved them.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    kaja, Christmasjoy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Some of my cloisonné snuff bottles.
    These are mid-late 20th century (yes, I am a sucker for that shade of blue):
    upload_2018-4-23_11-17-31.jpeg
    The one on the right has a peach aventurine and lapis lazuli stopper with a bone spoon.

These are old:
    upload_2018-4-23_11-19-55.jpeg
    Coral stopper on the left, the others are jade. Only the central one looks original to the bottle. The bright colours of the ones on either side are called Ming colours. (not Ming period)

Detail of the one on the right, the dull 'skin', imperfections and bubbles in the enamel show age:
    upload_2018-4-23_11-22-59.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. kaja

kaja Member

How beautiful. You have a wonderful collection. I am charging up my cameras. Went on a nice wild flower hunt.
    The bottle is very slim. The spoon looks gilded, and the bottle is smooth in my hand. I paid $40.00 at an actual brick & mortar antique shop just outside of Waco, Texas. I was so surprised that they had one, I just had to buy it.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Kaja

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, that is what I would expect. The spoons on these are generally gilded brass, just like the bottle itself. The enamel is polished, which makes it so tactile.
    On snuff bottles of this type and age the spoons are not really that important for determination. The older ones often have different styles spoons and stoppers, sometimes replacements, like on the two Ming style cloisonné ones above.
    The spoons on your style bottle are just little marvels to take out once in a while and admire. Everything is cute about this type, and that is one of the reasons why I collect snuff bottles, they are all miniature examples of Chinese art styles and techniques. If you have a good eye and a bit of luck, you can build up a collection of the styles from almost the entire Qing dynasty and after.
    The price is perfect, some of these cost more. And it looks in perfect condition.

Don't be surprised to find good bottles in Texas, btw, I bought some very nice ones from a Texan collector years ago. This chalcedony swan with a lotus leaf and a malachite stopper from the other thread was one of them:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Cute snuff bottles. :)

Huntingtreasure and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted