Featured So I guess this cameo is garbage?!! Not happy!!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

got this cameo today and notices it has a nice big lovely crack in it! And it appears someone even tried to glue it back together! Ooh! Is there any value in this with the crack? I believe she said it's 10k IMG_4088.JPG IMG_4090.JPG IMG_4091.JPG

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

So sad! Probably not any value unfortunately, calling @Bronwen

KSW, Xristina, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Tough one to call. If gold content really is enough to measure, it would have melt down value, of course. The mount is quite a pretty, well-made one, probably early 20th century. There might be interest in the mount, to be used for another piece close in size. However, this bezel has been custom fit to the curves of this particular segment of shell, limiting its usefulness for some other piece.

The cameo is helmet shell, competently carved, featuring a somewhat ambiguous classical figure. If it were just another pretty lady of indifferent quality I would not hesitate to say the value is only in the mount. You found it interesting & attractive; so might someone else. Unfortunately, the through & through crack is serious & quality of the cameo is not sufficient to offset it. We could ask @kyratango if she has any thoughts on how it could be made less conspicuous.

If question is really can you make any money reselling it, depends on what you paid. You would need to verify gold fineness. Does seller take returns?

Lucille.b, kyratango, KSW and 5 others like this.
  4. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

That's too bad! I agree that you should try to return it or at the least exchange it for something else.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is it marked or does it test as 10k?. If not I'd be returning it if the seller said that was what it was.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

If I had to kyratise this crack, I'd remove all I can of the glue in front (leaving it on back), and fill the gap with white modelling paste then match the color with permanent markers or gouache (only the hair sized gap!)

aaroncab, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

Yes tests as 10k. Paid $35

Bronwen likes this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's good so all is not lost!
    Did the seller try to conceal the damage from you?. If not I'd follow Kyra's instructions above and tidy it up. At least it missed most of her face!

Bronwen, Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  9. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Did you buy it on line? If so look at the pics you saw and if the crack was there they may not want to take it back. If it was eBay it is supposed to be disclosed. Second, put the cameo up to the light and see if you can see thru it. if so it may be a real cameo but not a great cutting so fixing may not be worth it. If you look at it where the crack starts on the bottom it’s bent ( the metal) I think someone had popped a new one in that frame and caused the bend and crack. If you can get them to take it back and start over might be best. I’m sorry it’s broken.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Said it had glue to put it together... the crack was surely visible in listing pics... Buyers! SCRUTINIZE THE PICS!!!!

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted