So I started trying to buy today.

Discussion in 'Sell' started by DougG1971, Apr 1, 2016.

1. DougG1971

DougG1971 New Member

I have really been anxious to try to buy used items and reselling them on Amazon, Ebay or CL. But I have this fear that when I finally break down and buy an item that I think will sell, will end up being the biggest dud when I try to sell it because no one will want it so I have been afraid to pull the trigger.

I think I passed up a few things that would sell though, A very crudely made set of hand made pottery that had about 3 matching pieces but it looked cool otherwise. The one piece could have been used as a candle holder even though separated from its base. the other two pieces were made as bowls I guess. The thrift store's prices were a bit high and that's why I didn't buy it. I think they wanted 15$ for all.

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

It would of been great if you took a photo of your almost purchase. Collectively we could of told you if your intuition to-not -buy was right.

Most of my big mistakes over the last 30 years were the things I didn't purchase... usually not enough money on hand.

KingofThings and silverthwait like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Have you ever sold anything on Ebay or Amazon? One of the best ways to find out what you might expect to get is to look at completed Ebay listing that have sold. With pottery it's often "all in the name" so look for well known artists with a selling history.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

KingofThings and Brenda Anna like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The best way to find out if you like selling, is to sell some of the things you have collected and no longer want.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. DougG1971

DougG1971 New Member

where do I go to find the completed ebay items? Thanks for your response.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. DougG1971

DougG1971 New Member

I might go back tomorrow and pick up those clay pieces, it was obviously done by a kid which could actually bring some $$$ money sold as a set (3pc)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

You do a search for something on Ebay and then from the left side of the page look at Sold Listings. I'm not so sure something done by a kid would be worth much to anyone but his mom, maybe not even her since it ended up in a thrift if that's really what it is. If you've not sold on Ebay before it's not a simple as they make it sound.

upload_2016-4-2_0-43-50.png

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Bakersgma, KingofThings and Serhii like this.
  9. DougG1971

DougG1971 New Member

THanks I appreciate that.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I'm hearing here that run-of-the-mill pottery and glass, even some good things, are not selling in general and on eBidet.
    I did hear right here that ETSY may be better so you might want to sniff around both before you buy anything.
    EDIT> Eyes are still partially shut and I hadn't had my tea yet this morning and didn't scroll down first. :p
    ...But I didn't see anything stated about ETSY so look there too.
    Plus> You may be happier if you can dedicate a space in your home/garage to only doing this. A place to shoot very good photos, a place to store shipping supplies, the items and to pack. This way you can do it at a moment's notice or when you feel like it and then walk away not having to keep setting up every time.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  11. say_it_slowly

If you decide to sell on Etsy unless you've made the item yourself or are selling supplies it will fall into the vintage category and will need to be a minimum of 20 years old.

I'm just a little concerned in case you're not familiar with selling on these sites as it requires some set up and they all have fees. Have you at least purchased on these sites?

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Doug.......Selling online can be fun and profitable. It can also be frustrating starting out. Here are some rules of thumb I use.

1. Buy what you like......Because you may end up having it around for awhile.

2. Don't spend more then you are willing to lose.

3. Remember to figure is selling costs, shipping fees, and final value fees from the auction sites.

4. Have fun and try to learn as you go.

5. Invest in a good camera so you can put the best quality photos possible in your auctions. Don't skimp on pictures, you are asking people to buy something that they can't see in person, so a lot of good quality photos will help sell your item.

6. Avoid buying damaged items. A little damage can and will have a big effect on selling price.

Hope that helps!

13. say_it_slowly

Can I add one more?
    7. Make sure you pack like your items will be thrown down a flight of stairs and make sure you understand how to weigh, measure and calculate postage.

14. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

LOL,,,,,SO TRUE!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

You can also search sold items by click on advanced search at the top of the page (next to the blue search button click on advanced).
    Enter the name of the item, scroll down and click on sold items. You can search a specific category or all categories.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Mill Cove Treasures

Last summer I went to yard sales with a friend who wanted to try ebay. My advice to her was to start out buying inexpensive items until she got the hang of it. That way, if things didn't sell, it didn't hurt financially. I helped her pick out some items for a total of $25. She sold most of the items for around $321 before deducting fees. It was a great way for her to get the hang of ebay without investing a lot of money.

If you have a smart phone, you can look things up before you buy. Just check sold items on ebay to see what it will sell for or if the item is even selling at all.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hey!!! G sales are starting here............buddy...friend.............. ;)

18. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Fantastic advice everyone! Really years of experience being shared.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Mill Cove Treasures

@KOT - come on down. My problem is time and to many things going on with family. I'm actually afraid of listing to many things because if something happens here and I can't get things out on time, ebay's new demerit system would demolish me.

20. DougG1971

DougG1971 New Member

I appreciate the advice. I have never heard of ETSY, Ill definitely check it out. Ive been looking at some stuff trying not to get sucked in by large ticket items. I just need to get a few stuff up to see how it sells.

Thanks for your advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted