So I was flipping through a book.... Flag Seal?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Apr 28, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello,

I purchased a few books today and low and behold in one of them was this tiny flag seal. Looks to have an SC on it in the background. Also a 7 Star Flag (Confederate?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated to what it exactly is.

I've found some auction records of "Siegel" that were from 1959 & 1967 (i think) and they had a listing in their catalogue for said "seal" but I have no idea what that means or what that is.

The Company who published it is adapremont which I can't find too much about!

Thank you again in advance!
    Warm Regards,
    Scantic IMG_7204.JPG IMG_7205.JPG

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

ScanticAntiques, just me being curious but . . . did the book you found it in have anything to do with history (more specifically the Civil War)?

I sometimes find it interesting to compare the item(s) found in old books and the history of the items with the general or specific content of the book(s) they are found in.;)

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

5. ScanticAntiques

Haha It's actually odd, it came in an 1821 miniature copy of Devout Exercise of the Heart. The book has an inscription from a man to a woman in 1848, but nothing civil war period from what I could tell. Seemed to be towards the back of the book between the pages. :)

6. ScanticAntiques

Wow Thank you so much! I had no idea what it was! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

Thank you, Figtree. It's about time I started paying my way here. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Are you going to part with this?

10. ScanticAntiques

Next it is my turn
    I believe so :) Haha Have not put much thought into as of yet, as I just purchased the book today and discovered it. I'll def. let you know though if you are interested.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Good find, yourturn! I had never heard of a flag for the Southern Congress. Before reading all the replies in this thread, I found a CSA *.pdf file showing this sticker. It seems to have the same info as your find. Oh, well, I'll include my link just because I have it at hand.

http://www.csadealer.com/49-54_ASDCMagazineMarch2015(2).pdf

--- Susan

12. yourturntoloveit

Wow, Ladybranch (and others) -- did you read Page 5 of your above link?

"Figure 8. A signed statement by Dapremont about his Baton Rouge capture and solitary confinement in the ParishPrison until his parole."

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good link; that does add a lot more to the story!

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Yes please. :)

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  15. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Very VERY cool bit of ephemera.

I like how the article mentions they almost always have poor registration EXACTLY like this specimen.

Sounds like it just might be a pricey little piece of paper :)!

16. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Sorry guys but no talking deals here.

Try the Marketplace down below or a private contact via the inbox up above on the right if you want to further discuss a possible direct transaction.

Thanks.

17. ScanticAntiques

Haha yeah, not bad for being in the back of a miniature book. What I find interesting is that it remained in there. I mean it wasn't glued down or anything, it was loose in the pages, tucked in but not like it couldn't have easily fallen out over the years. To put it into some perspective, here are some photos of the book. It's tiny. lol It makes me quiver thinking about other pieces of historical ephemera that may be tucked away and just moments from destruction :( lol

Also the awesome sewn repair is pretty fun. :) IMG_7225.JPG IMG_7226.JPG IMG_7227.JPG IMG_7228.JPG Lidge .jpeg

18. yourturntoloveit

What a lovely little book. Now my imagination is taking hold. I wonder if, because she was addressed as "Mrs. Hayden," she was an older lady who had been kind to him, perhaps when he was in school/college, or perhaps he was a "boarder" in her home, or perhaps, given the religious tone(s) of the book, he was either a minister or a theology student at the time of his presentation of the book to Mrs. Hayden.

Obviously my imagination not only took hold, it ran wild. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Let's not forget that it could be from a young woman as well, since it only has initials. Affection wasn't limited the way it is today and it wouldn't have been uncommon for it to be from a student of either sex to a beloved older person. In those days, women teachers were not allowed to marry, so I don't think it was a teacher. Perhaps the wife of a professor who showed some kindness. What is the word before 1848? It looks like Grange.

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If I have time I'll check Ancestry for those names and see if I can come up with something.

Draft saved Draft deleted