Soapstone carving - abstract-ish - signed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by aaroncab, Mar 8, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The price sticker was over the signature so I didn't see the signature/title till I got it home. I think the sig reads "R. Fowler or Fowley ...but supposed I could be getting it wrong. Titled "Dove". Until I saw the title I wasn't sure what it was - then I was like ..ohhhh yeah, it IS a dove. 8.5" long, 4.5" high. It's all curves and folds...I like it. Any opinions/info on artist much appreciated - thanks for looking!

47266559822_996e8c94fb_odev.jpg 47318915601_720fac337e_odev.jpg 46595702854_b45cdd18a9_odev.jpg 33443204738_65918fafdb_odev.jpg 47266553442_a2dc0476e2_odev.jpg 32377056277_863d0ce1ce_odev.jpg 33443204728_2f9c2a61b2_odev.jpg 46595715324_85778fd253_odev.jpg 46595709034_52edf43f62_odev.jpg

2. aaroncab

base/signature

46572168744_4a3003aa5f_kdev.jpg 40330767003_265944cfa5_kdev.jpg

Couple more angles:

47318917241_ccce8cfb9f_odev.jpg 46595702834_37464a0d0b_odev.jpg

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice shots....as usual...
    I'll throw Brazilian Soapstone , out there.....but that's a what it looks like from here...
    Those felt dots speak to me of 1980's.............just saying...they look original.

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I love the stone, and the shapes, but for the life of me I just can't see a dove :( ... Joy.

KSW, aaroncab and judy like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just concentrate on the 1st pic - see the wings folded back onto the tail (right side) and the wee beak/head facing left?

aaroncab and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

I see it better in the last pic !!

aaroncab likes this.
  7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

OKAY .. I think I see it in the last pic. Thanks Komo. I guess I'm not much of an 'abstract' type person ... Joy.

aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I can see the dove that Aaroncab sees...but looking at it the other way 'round, it looks like a whale with a flipper hiding his eyes...

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  9. komokwa

Can I have some of what you're smoking ????:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

If aaron's dove does not need to be anatomically correct, neither does my whale!

;)

Christmasjoy, judy, Fid and 2 others like this.
  11. aaroncab

I thought it might be a whale when i first picked it up...

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  12. aaroncab

I just gotta say that this is something that's hard to show in pictures, exactly what it really looks like in person - the 3 dimensional qualities of the curves and lines are very pleasing, and it looks most like a dove when looking at a sharp angle from back to front, from slightly above. Also the impression/feel it gives changes greatly with the angle/source/strength of the lighting.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I love it! There is something so satisfying about the look and feel of a good piece of carved and polished stone.

14. aaroncab

Completely agree!

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Interesting piece.

Could we get a few more shots of the signature?

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and judy like this.
  16. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I recall a bunch of semi-abstract soapstone carvings of a similar colour comming from Zimbabwe in the late 1980s and turning up in my local auction.
    This may be a lead.

aaroncab and judy like this.
  17. aaroncab

20190308_171306.jpg

judy likes this.
  18. aaroncab

It does resemble shona stone - particularly the leopard rock variety - which I believe is a type of serpentinite. Could be a possibility - thanks AF!

judy likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How about Rowley for the surname?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. aaroncab

Possible...hard to see in the photos but what seems like it might be a downstroke to form the right side of the r is different from the rest of the writing...might be just a scratch/nick...but I'm not sure.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted