Featured Soapstone Thing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, May 24, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

So I don't want to jinx anything but I couldn't wait to find out what this is. I don't have it yet so I took pics of pics but I think they look ok for help. I bought this as a vase, but it doesn't go deep enough for a vase, AND on the inside you can see a couple marks. This is soapstone and stands 8" tall. Maybe an incense burner? Super excited and can't wait to get it. Has a wood base.

ss1.JPG ss2.JPG ss3.JPG ss4.JPG ss5.JPG ss6.JPG ss7.JPG ss8.JPG ss9.JPG ss10.JPG

judy, scoutshouse, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Does look like some kind of Chinese soapstone or other soft stone. Carving is...meh. What's interesting to me are what appear to be the lines from the natural crystal pattern of the stone/mineral on the base...clearer photos of the base when you receive it would be good.

Edit: see my next reply.

judy likes this.
  3. aaroncab

Looking again I'm staring to think it might be cast resin...again clearer photos and having the object in hand will tell.

judy likes this.
  4. kraftblue

Thanks Aaron. Do you know what its purpose is?

judy likes this.
  5. aaroncab

Other than being a jar of sorts...I couldn't guess a specific use, too big for a snuff bottle(not to mention. It's not a bottle), not the right shape for a censer/incense burner - at least ones I'm familiar with.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    judy likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the scoring going various directions on the bottom look like they were done while the material was semi-liquid. Can't imagine why you would do this to the bottom of a stone piece.

7. aaroncab

Yeah I almost immediately thought better of my initial thought that it could be crystal structure. Leaning very strongly towards some type of resin/cast material.

Any Jewelry, judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. kraftblue

Thanks Bronwen and Aaron. The base is suppose to be wood.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'd call it a decorative vase, probably mid 20th century. The style is Chinese, but it could have been made elsewhere.

That strange staining and light coloured 'wear' on the parts that stick out are typical of resin pieces. That strange 'wobbly' look in the photo below is also typical of some resin pieces.
    Sorry kraft, can't make it any prettier than it is.:sorry: There is a market for these items though, and some fetch really nice prices.

[​IMG]
    It is most likely to be resin as well, just another colour and finish.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. kraftblue

Thanks Any, it looks interesting enough.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. John steward

John steward Member

Hello, to my eyes it is soapstone and more than likely made to look older.
    Or done by a student carver, it is hand carved.

Draft saved Draft deleted