Featured societe ceramique maestricht plate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Phaik Hooi, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The plate is by Société Céramique, competitors of Petrus Regout. I think it dates from the early 20th century.
    The design was around before either Société Céramique or Regout. It is commonly called Boerenbont, peasant or farmer's gaudy.
    The name of the factory was in French, because parts of that province, Limburg, of The Netherlands have a long French language tradition. My grandmother was from there and her first language was French.
    Boerenbont was exported to Indonesia, and no doubt found its way from there to Malaysia.
    Boerenbont in colonial Indonesia:
    [​IMG]

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

They were competitors until they merged in 1958. Then I think the mark would have changed.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This is a pattern produced by many potteries, many in Britain. If you use the search terms stick spatter I think you'll find many such pieces. Some call it the Virginia pattern.

Replacements shows several similar patterns listed under Regout but they don't show backstamps.

Phaik Hooi, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

6. Any Jewelry

There is generally more info on Regout than on Société Céramique, even in Dutch. I can't find anything on which mark was used when. I did find that another mark was used from 1955 until the merger in 1958.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here is a page below from "Discovering Dutch Delftware" with info on the marks if it helps.

I also had quite a lot of links saved concerning Dutch ceramics but many of the links no longer work. I did find this one if it helps but not in English. You can access some of the other marks with the links within the text.
    http://www.plateel.nl/index.html?target=p_122.html&lang=nl

upload_2017-11-19_16-9-47.png

judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  8. Phaik Hooi

such a cute photo!! :happy::happy:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Phaik Hooi

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Phaik Hooi

tq all!! :happy::joyful:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted