Some antique glass negatives - two labeled the Bronx

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

These are from a new batch of negatives I just got - not nearly as well labeled as the last ones.

This one was in an envelope labeled Bronx View:

bronxview.jpg

This one was labeled Bronx Falls:

bronxfalls.jpg

I am hoping people can help me identify the rest of them:

Another Bronx View perhaps?

bronxperhaps.jpg

2015-09-08-0003small.jpg

2015-09-08-0006small.jpg

2015-09-08-0004small.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That second "Bronx View" sure looks like it's the same wall and buildings from the opposite direction to the first. The hills are kind of tall for the NY Bronx, though.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Yep - that three stepped shed roof on the smaller building is pretty conclusive

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

I am currently racking (what little is left of) my brain trying to identify that large building out in the open, but am having no luck. I THINK that after years of architectural day tripping in New York I would recognize that building if it were in the Bronx (particularly in the East Bronx, which this appears to be), but I am coming up empty..................so its very possible that that building is/was elsewhere

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thanks Mansons. I don't know that it was in the Bronx, but the negatives it was with seem to be.
    Also, in the photo, it is surrounded by nothing. Presumably by the time you would have seen it, it would have been surrounded by something.

7. Mansons2005

Yeah, well we WON'T go in to that..........................but a building as large as that would have been mentioned somewhere in the annals of NY architectural history and I have no remembrance of it so.............I even checked around Eastchester and Westchester (both border on the Bronx) and have come up cold. Part of the problem may be the the Bronx was not real an incorporated place (county) until about 1914/15, and heaven only knows what most of the smaller "areas" were called until then

KingofThings likes this.
  8. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I'm getting NY Botanical Gardens Museum for that large building

9. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

10. Mansons2005

And correct you are! As I have never had an interest in anything green unless it was dried and rolling paper, I must have ignored that building all of my life - though I have a feeling that when this photo was taken it was in the early years before the greenhouse, etc. surrounded it.

11. Mansons2005

And yes, it is on the Bronx River as well. BY the way, the photo in Wiki is almost exactly the same as yours, sans the bicyclist

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Draft saved Draft deleted