Featured Some auction finds to ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CharlesSabo, Apr 30, 2017.

1. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

Well been away for a little bit from picking up antiques, but back to collecting. I sold quite a bit of the items id'ed from you guys so thank you for that. Here are a few pieces that I am not 100% if I am right. I think most are Fenton, but from that I do not know such as which piece from their collection. Please let me know if I need to adjust an angle to better ID. Hopefully you guys can ID these pieces. Thanks in advance

20170429_204028.jpg 20170429_204141.jpg 20170429_204311.jpg 20170429_204517.jpg 20170429_204736.jpg 20170429_205217.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

You have some nice pieces:) I believe #3&5 are Fenton Silver Crest

anundverkaufen and Aquitaine like this.
  3. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

Ok thanks. I was pretty sure they were Fenton. I actually just picked up some others today that were silver crest as well then. One though was a silver crest wioth spanish style.

4. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that everything except the last piece is Fenton. The green and yellow are hobnail opalescent. I can't think what they called the pink/white with clear edge like silvercrest, but it has a crest name.

anundverkaufen and CharlesSabo like this.
  5. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Peach crest is what the first piece is called.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Peach Crest was made from 1940 -1967.
    greg

anundverkaufen, CharlesSabo and judy like this.
  7. gregsglass

Hi,
    Msgood2shoe's 2nd reply was NOT there when I posted. Ozone is getting weird again.:eek:
    greg

judy and CharlesSabo like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The "yellow" one might be vaseline.

9. gregsglass

Hi Judy,
    The yellow is yellow if it had a greenish tinge to it it might be vaseline.:rolleyes:
    greg

judy and silverthwaite II like this.
  10. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

All are Fenton except the blue vase.

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Bright sunlight or black light will tell.

Here is one that I have.....

It does test for vaseline.

vaseline.jpg

anundverkaufen likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The treatment of the blue is sometimes called "cloud glass". Might be something to search.

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It isn't cloud glass in the British sense, it has too many colours in it and is too deliberate. I think it's more recent - as in, post 1980s - Scandinavian. Any chance of a photo of its bottom?

judy likes this.
  14. gregsglass

Hi Judy,
    Your's has a slight green tinge so it will test for vaseline All colors might test for glowing under a black light but that does not make them vaseline. I see items advertised as blue vaseline and green vaseline but they are NOT vaseline. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

antidiem and judy like this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg!

I thought perhaps the one in Charles' picture looked close enough to test it out.

I had read a long time ago that strong sun light will reveal vaseline, and thought that if Charles did not have a black light, he might use the sun to help.

I learned about the sun test on the old eBay board a very long time ago, and perhaps you were the poster!!!
    :happy:

Nothing like black light to be sure tho.

16. gregsglass

Hi,
    Have used the sunlight when at yard sales a long time ago. Learned more after just dealing with it, I can just about 'smell" tell without looking at it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:. The biggest part of collecting was just getting room for more better pieces. In the 70s I had over 1000 pieces. I was living in a huge brownstone but moving into a 490 sq ft condo. Just about everything had to go. My vaseline water pitcher collection was the hardest to part with. Had over 100 pieces still rue selling them.
    greg

antidiem likes this.
  17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

WOW! You have to be the expert on vaseline.

I have but a few pieces....(Fenton) that I acquired a few years ago with the intent to sell, but somehow I can't part with them as yet. And, they are small pieces.

I have several pieces of Fenton hobnail cranberry, so maybe it's just because the vaseline is complimentary that I keep them.

Do you have any pix of your now or past collection?

18. gregsglass

Hi Judy,
    Thanks for the complement. My pictures were on my PC which decided to die and was not able to recover.:oops::oops::oops: The others were lost in a fire a year later. I had to laugh, once the landlady's children asked me when I was going on vacation. I asked why and they said they wanted to put red ropes up and give tours of my apartment. They only saw things like mine in museums. I do have some photos but they are buried somewhere in this house. My collection of vaseline glass is down to about 6 pieces. One is a fostoria basket from 1901 it is my favorite since it reminds me of my Gram. The newest is a ruffled Fenton piece given to me by a board member for Christmas one year. My favorite piece was a huge punch bowl and seven cups which I got in Canada one year for 25 dollars!!! Actually I gave the woman 50 bucks and told her to keep the change. The story behind that was a hoot. I rented a beat up new car from Rent a Wreck and went on a buying trip to Canada. When I was coming back to the states I was stopped at the border. The Canadian guards looked at my beat up car and it was jammed with paper bags and plastic bags, The entire back seat and trunk was filled. I looked like a crazy person. The one guard opened a bag and it held a saucer, a salt and pepper set, and a dozen napkins. He just shut the bag and let me go. I heard him say to his partner as I was leaving "He is nuts, Americans, go figure".
    greg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Ha Ha....."crazy like a fox"!!:cat:

The seller of the punch bowl must have been shocked to receive so much more than the asking price. How nice of you to do so.

It's a shame that you lost your pictures to an old PC, but you will have the memory forever.

Thank you for sharing your story!

antidiem and gregsglass like this.
  20. gregsglass

Hi,
    Just wanted to say my favorite pieces of the old collection was 6 place settings of a wonderful plain and simple deep vaseline that was never id'd. It was just plain and round but the color was deep enough to dive into. I found them at a yard sale in Brooklyn. I always wondered if they were Italian and not American. It was nearly impossible to get my finger into the handle of the cup. Definitely made for tiny slender fingers. I always loved fancy glassware and plain dishes with really detailed silver. Judy thanks for tripping me down memory lane.:p:p:p:p:p
    greg

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted