Some cool brass cherub wall sconces with mirrors and candle stickers

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Aug 28, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

BB779F9C-15A0-4EE8-A65E-2D66456EC124.jpeg Was en route to an estate sale before work over the weekend when I saw a few tables on the sidewalk in front of a home on a low rent street. “Antique sale” was scribbled on a piece of brown paper bag taped to the table blowing in the wind. There was a bunch of mostly modern decorative stuff made to look antiqued and a couple antique items mixed in. These stuck out to me right away. I imagine they are not incredibly valuable but I ended talking the guy to $24 for the pair which is a bit more than I wanted to pay. I think I probably did ok. Any idea where and when they came from? Some nice detail on these in my opinion. Didn’t notice any marks in my quick once over but haven’t sat down and looked super close. FADA380C-25F3-4D18-A3E2-886AF6CB4AAD.jpeg Mirrors are intact but a little spotty, hoping they clean up.
    B6AF1F47-864D-4660-B6F3-FE4410190E39.jpeg

Houseful likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. J Dagger

I’ll check the other one for the CD mark. I only brought one in from the car to photograph. The pair in this listing seem to have finer detail. Guessing maybe same mold but those ones are earlier? Or possibly same design but different mold? Not well versed in how these are done. It’s clearly the same design but there enough differences

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Please, do not replace the mirrors. And they are not called sconces...but my brain is sluggish this morning... It will come to me eventually.

J Dagger likes this.
  5. J Dagger

Lol let me know if you think of it. Certainly won’t be replacing the mirrors.

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If the mirrors are spotted and the silvering is coming off they can be stripped and still salvaged. I use straight bleach to remove the silvering and then place a thin new mirror behind the old glass. Some people like the old spotted mirrors, I do not find it nice but NEVER get rid of the old glass it can be resilvered. I can not afford to have them resilvered but a new mirror placed against them works fine.
    greg

Jivvy and silverthwait like this.