SOME DOLLS THAT I SAW WERE FOR SALE, AT A RESTAURANT....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

We went to a funeral reception for my BIL's dear friend who was 93.....wonderful man... more on that later, but WHERE the reception was, was like a museum of local HISTORY!!! At the end DH & I went around looking at all we/I could!!! What a treasure trove for preservation!! However, before I ramble...in one of the showcases, I just wanted to give a heads-up to @judy at least that there was a sign saying "DOLLS ARE FOR SALE" ....lighting was horrible, with overhead reflections, so I only got, I think 2 fairly decent shots, and the restaurant is the "Spencer Country Inn" in Spencer, MA! We'd never been there before, but plan on heading back......on to the only 2 halfway decent pics.....and I DON'T know dolls....so........

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg
    I did take more pics of other things, that I DO have some questions about, but in another post......at the moment, I have to get this .....body.....in motion!!!!:smug::smuggrin:

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Those look like relatively modern collectible porcelain dolls.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree -- And looks like a couple of Santa Claus dolls or figures in the bottom left quadrant of the first picture.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm no doll expert, but they all looked new to me too. Probably why they were for sale.

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

One of the best sales i ever went to was a Church Rummage Sale-2 etchings,2 water colors and one oil painting we still have.The oil we found in California and 2 years later we moved to where the scene was painted-The Willamette Valley,Oregon.The Artist is a fairly well-respected reigonalist painter- Alfred Schroff.His prices bounce all over,nothing as pricey as Percy Gray or Elmer Bischoff.
    i'm an art major and were I a billionaire my walls would be covered.But nakedly financially speaking-the one thing at a good will or garage sale that could dramatically change your life fiscally,is a piece of art (all props to beanie babies & pez dispensers-the type of collecting I can afford). 30-40 years ago,the world contained many,many cheap treasures-alas i was even broker then.

Pat Dennis, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. evelyb30

Church sales at old churches can be goldmines. New churches too, if someone had to clean out Grandma's house and just trucked the boxes over to their church to get it out of the way. Hit the right one at the right time and...bingo. My usual luck is snakeeyes, but such is life.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  7. bosko69

Evely- Most Sales these days are 'snakeyes'. More folks every day stumble across 'American Pickers-boy before Ebay,I'd be really po'ed if i didn't bring home at least 1 killer piece a weekend (should've been picking the other 6).

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

Back in the day, that was true. It still does happen though. Scored $2000 in gold at an antique store this Winter... in their Costume jewelry pile!

judy likes this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you @Aquitaine for thinking of me.

There might be a couple of older dolls amongst the group, but for the most part...........on the newer side.

10. bosko69

Evely- Newly retired for a couple months,once I've finished with my 200 maintenance/home improvement projects-I'll be hitting' the ' Pickin' Trail ' again,one more old geezer treasure hunting ,a Ghost Rider in the Sky.

Pat Dennis and judy like this.
  11. bosko69

Eleanor of Aquitaine-Have you seen Ken Branagh's 'Henry the Fifth' ?

judy likes this.
  12. evelyb30

If she hasn't, I have. Accidentally memorized the Por Nobis they wrote for the movie. :)

judy likes this.
  13. bosko69

Heck of a production-wonderful actors.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted