Some glass pieces I've been wondering about for a while

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Dec 27, 2019.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Anyone know about these? I think at least the bigger piece is antique (19th goose-style Cent glass claret/jug?) and the other one is perhaps a Fostoria piece.

The orange one weighs about 1.75 lbs and is 8.5 x 4.25" at its widest part. The other piece (it has more green tinting than showing up) weighs about 2.5 lbs and is 10.5 x 4.5.

Thanks in advance for replies.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    kyratango and judy like this.
  2. dude

dude Well-Known Member

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lovely Amber glass!

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

the amber dolphin base lamp might be Westmoreland

5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Will do some research. Thx. BTW, I think it's a fish, considering the scales.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In former times dolphins in art were often depicted with scales. On antique maps too. Ergo, most artists and cartographers lived inland.;)

kyratango, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like it
    The base definitely looks like Westmoreland! Haven't found any examples online with the flowers or same style top yet.

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I could be mistaken but I believe it is a depiction of a dolphin fish, not a dolphin.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Submariner's Dolphin Insignia.........for the scales on the dolphins.....

1950cposubmarinerdolphinsobv_540x167.jpg

kyratango, judy, dude and 2 others like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    kyratango, judy, dude and 1 other person like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The clear wrythen glass piece is rather intriguing ..not seen that form before.

dude and kyratango like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Correct.

13. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Based on this following from https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/westmoreland-glass-company-148924, it is possible they made this piece in the 20s.
    Other Westmoreland Wares
    Westmoreland is clearly best known for its milk glass, with 90 percent of the glass produced from the 1920s through the 1950s having the milky white hue. However, in the 1920s the company did make limited selections of high quality decorated glass and crystal, including hen on nest dishes made in a variety of colors in addition to the ever-popular milk glass examples. Even into the 1950s, limited amounts of amber, blue, green, pink, and brown glass left the Westmoreland factory.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

Not sure I would believe this.
    Westmoreland started out in the late 1800s as the Specialty Glass Co., before becoming Westmoreland Glass.

Yes they were a major maker of milk glass in the late 40s through the 60s. However, just about every pattern they made in milk glass, they also made in colored or clear glass.

Remember this is the internet. Once stated, then copied, then considered fact.
    Go to the library and check out some books.

https://www.replacements.com/crystal/wes.htm

dude and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Dude. I am not a knowledgeable person, when it comes to glass. I am here just like you to learn. I was just doing some research for you to give you some search terms and so you could compare your piece to something. The differences in pieces and makers can be very subtle. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression that I confirmed the Westmoreland piece. I will have to be more careful in my future posts. Kiko

dude and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

17. dude

dude Well-Known Member

18. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Not that I don't appreciate a good "you-understood" imperative, or a trip to the library, but it essentially states the same thing in Schroeder's antiques price guides.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted