Featured Some Kind Of Carved Thing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Jun 7, 2019.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

This stands 8" tall. Some woman on the front Chinese? Not sure This is hollow. I took some good closeups so maybe you can tell what it is made of and where it came from.

fig1.JPG fig2.JPG fig4.JPG fig5.JPG fig6.JPG fig7.JPG fig8.JPG fig10.JPG fig12.JPG fig13.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

it is carved cow bone, from Bali, Indonesia.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

4. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Thanks Any and Johnny

5. Ronald_D

Ronald_D New Member

Carved ox-bone ... probably the god Vishnu.

6. Any Jewelry

These bone carvings generally have the Goddess Saraswati on the front, and since kraftblue said it is a woman, it is most likely Saraswati.
    I have never seen one with Vishnu, that would be pretty rare. It wouldn't influence the value though.
    I can't see enough detail to tell if it could possibly be a man, but it has probably already been sold. This thread is two years old.:)

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  7. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Two years ago was a grand time in life till covid hit and schemed to make our lives difficult ! Let's hope it all gets better , real soon ! I hate what I see in India and the Philippines needs to get their act together ...my poor wife really misses her family as I do too ! Neat carving , have to appreciate the time and effort and skill even if it is bone, not ivory !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

It is truly horrific there, and they have been hit by two hurricanes on top of it all.
    I hope you and your family get to see the in-laws soon. The current situation is terrible for international families. All of my close relatives live abroad too.

Draft saved Draft deleted