SOme Kind of Plastic Horse Head Pin/Brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kraftblue, May 31, 2018.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Nice pin...measures 2 1/4" x 1 1/2". Looks like it is signed db 2008 on the back. Any idea on maker?
    horse1.JPG horse3.JPG horse4.JPG horse5.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Afraid it looks like the kind of thing you make at camp, when you have to do crafts instead of outdoor activities because it is raining.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not exactly. Reworked bakelite is my guess. Take a damp q-tip and rub some baking soda on the back of a horse. Take a good sniff after rubbing a bit; odds are you're going to get formaldehyde. Those may have been blanks made before WWII and never used; in 2008 someone made them into a pin. They could also have been cut from bits of a busted-up radio case or something. There used to be a guy on Ebay who did similar work, but he wasn't active the last time I looked.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. kraftblue

Ok I did the baking soda and it does have a smell, although I don't know what formaldehyde smells like. Even the qtip turned the same color.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It could be lucite too; sometimes the color rubs off, and it does something have an odor. I'd say there's a good chance of bakelite though. Formaldehyde is pretty stinky; once you know what it is the smell is pretty distinctive. I still don't know for sure about this.

6. kraftblue

Thanks I will have to ask someone that knows bakelite.

Draft saved Draft deleted