Featured Some more antique belts - one Greek, another possibly Yemenite

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

So, I might have a self-control problem. Couldn't resist adding these two belts to my growing collection.

The first one came from Greece. The scaled silver adornments reminds me of Ottoman belts I've seen, but I can't find a similar one with the face decoration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second one was described as Kuchi, but at the sight of the granulated ends, I had a gnawing suspicion that it was Yemenite. I suspect that the shoe-strings are not original to the belt. It measures 17 inches long, excluding the strings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

singing, elarnia, Aquitaine and 9 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Ottoman Greek.
    Are you sure that is a belt? My metric conversion may be off, but it sounds like a choker. Looks like one too.;)
    Yes it is from Yemen.:) It would have had woven cords, probably black, similar to the ones you see on Indian chokers. Those tend to tear after decades of sweaty necks, the shoelaces come pretty close. You can replace the shoelaces with thick cotton cord.

Here is one somewhat like yours, with replacement bands:

[​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yemenite-N...Yemen-silver-Tribal-Necklace-Y2-/123770058975

Barn Owl, i need help, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I’m in love with the Greek belt! I nearly can “feel” it from your photos :woot:
    In your pics #5 and #6, it seems you have an Assiut shawl! :cyclops:

4. Any Jewelry

True, I forgot to comment on that this afternoon. I wanted to ask Barn to promise not to use that to display 'Heavy Metal' ever again.
    (My poor heart! :nurse:)

BoudiccaJones, kyratango and Barn Owl like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thank you!

You're right. It's too short to be a belt. :( It was represented as one. I guess now I'll have to start diversifying my small Yemenite jewelry collection.

I love it too! The face is so cool. My dad's side of the family is Greek, so it feels special to me, knowing it came from there.

The shawl is unfortunately not mine, because the photos aren't mine. (My camera was dead when I posted this). But if I ever acquire one in the future, I promise not to use it as a display prop ;)

singing, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

:kiss:

Barn Owl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted