Featured Some more enamel spoons...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by DragonflyWink, May 31, 2020.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

430202023596.jpg

1. Watson violets, designed by Jos. E Straker, bowl engraved 'Atlantic City'.

2. Watson/Mechanics pink rose and buds, bowl engraved 'Deadwood, S.D.'.

3. P.W. Ellis & Co. with Dominion shield, bowl showing the Court House, Woodstock, Ont.

4. Dominion Jewelry Mfg. maple leaf, bowl engraved 'Victoria'.

5. Birmingham maker A. Marston & Co., 1931, Shakespeare finial.

6. Pforzheim maker Max Fleischmann, bowl showing the Paris coat of arms.

7. Norwegian, marked only '900', would suspect maker Marius Hammer.

8. Dutch maker Gerritsen & van Kempen, designed by Gustav Beran, who studied under Josef Hoffmann in Vienna.

9. Charles M. Robbins with 'C' finial, I have one similar with a 'W' on blue (packed away right now), so now I have my initials.

English enamel is so often well done:

shakespearespoonfinial-1.jpg

Have been slowly acquiring the four colorways of Gorham's No. 360-363 enamel coffee spoons - they not particularly uncommon, but often have chipped enamel and/or loss of gilding, and sometimes sell higher than I'd pay (okay, I'm thrifty/cheap). The No. 360 (they're in order) has eluded me for some time, finally got it, in lovely condition, matte surface, engraved 'Chicago 1892' on reverse:

4302020235922.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice !!!
    ya gotta have at least one with the Canadian Maple Leaf !!!!! ;):playful::playful::playful:

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You have the most beautiful collection of spoons that I've ever seen.

I'm sure you have them displayed for all to enjoy, and probably you have shown photos of just how they are displayed in the past, that I either can't remember, or a post I just happened to have missed.

4. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

Such a pleasure to look at! Thank you.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Cheryl!:happy: My favourites are the Pforzheim and Norwegian spoons.
    Such a gorgeous set, congrats on getting them all.
    Those lovely Gustav Beran spoons come in different colours as well, I occasionally see them in auctions here. They are late 50s-early 60s, but still have that old Josef Hoffmann look.:)

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Lovely set of spoons. Thanks for sharing.

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. Glad you were able to complete the Gorham set.

Thanks for posting these beauties! :)

8. DragonflyWink

It's a nice old one too, I like Canadian enamels...

Thanks, Judy - I have some really nice pieces, but there are much better collections than mine out there.

All of my spoons are packed away at the moment, but after some renovations, will get them back on display - this was my dining room wall, also have another 60-spoon cade and half a dozen smaller open racks:

[​IMG]

Stray spoons in the kitchen:

[​IMG]

Thanks, AJ - The Paris spoon is very nice, and I'm loving the Norwegian piece, Hammer often used 900 silver, as well as leaving off their mark, will keep an eye out for the same design with a Hammer mark. Was tickled to get the Beran-designed spoon, it was basically a very cheap throw-in with a multiple order of non-spoon items - some of the other colors are more vibrant, but I'm always happy with blue (a yellow one is pictured on the cover of the 'Zeist Silver Work' book):

upload_2020-5-31_14-22-53.png

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  9. DragonflyWink

Fid, Figtree3, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Your collection is beautiful, Cheryl -- Thanks for sharing!

DragonflyWink likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

How did I miss this thread ??? Gorgeous collection,and Im overwhelmed by the amount you have ! With envy,of course . :)

DragonflyWink likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

Oh, Johnny - you have no idea. Used to cull to keep it at no more than 500, then I raised it to 600, then I had to stop selling, and then I stopped counting, and then Mom's spoons were added, and now I reckon it's around 1200, but fortunately at least half are in storage, so I can't count...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I always love seeing the wonderful spoons you get to add to your collection!!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

People are always asking me how many perfume bottles I have in my collection. My stock answer is always I have no idea, but when I have too many I will let them know. ;) :p:p :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :playful::playful::playful: :hilarious::hilarious:

SBSVC and Fid like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted