Someone told me old records aren't worth anything.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hemster922, Nov 22, 2017.

1. hemster922

hemster922 Well-Known Member

Tell me that's not so. Because these are PERFECT.
    PB220081 (640x480).jpg PB220071 (640x480).jpg PB220072 (640x480).jpg PB220075 (640x480).jpg PB220076 (640x480).jpg PB220078 (640x480).jpg

lloyd249 likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

You have to research the title and artist.
    Some are collectable, 99% are not.

I had 3 suitcases full of them from a house clearance, all went for recycling.

3. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

But here's a site to maybe find youre records and there's a lot more websites even about 78 trm records https://www.popsike.com/

lloyd249 and hemster922 like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Awhile back I wondered the same thing but when I started researching, as with most things, condition also plays a role. I decided I didn't really want to get that far into learning about how to grade condition in addition to desireability. Just something to consider.

hemster922 likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I know there has been an upswing in collecting the jackets , for their artwork.

but low production records....themed records & certain artists are also being looked for.

hemster922 likes this.
  6. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I was selling at a flea market last weekend and had a fellow looking for 78's. So they are sellable.

hemster922 and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Best Buy is selling turntables....& in the music store , I went to for some CD's...they had section for new vinyl discs.....

hemster922 likes this.
  8. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

imo old 78 record players are highly collectable , without records they are useless (other than decorative ), i like to play mine, and i only have about five 78 speed records , and are getting harder to find .

hemster922 likes this.
  9. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

the most expensive one i know of is a 78 that has jimi hendrix on one side of it , and i forget who is on the other ,it's very rare .

judy and hemster922 like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I tried locating the post I made about a local guy that goes to the auction house where I work on Fridays, but was unsuccessful. :arghh::arghh:

Anyway, the gist was that he sold a very rare jazz record about a year ago on ebay for a final price in the 5 figures. The buyer lived out in the northwest & he flew here to pick it up. He also wanted to get a chance to paw through the probably thousands of other records this guy has in his possession. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So you have to consider artist, condition & rarity because you just never know.

11. hemster922

My husband picked me up a turntable just recently so I could play some of the boxes & boxes of records I have. Mainly to check the state of each record, but I have to say..if I didn't have so many already I could get into collecting.
    My favorite is The Supremes. And REO Speedwagon. And Beethoven.
    Geez...:confused:...can't keep them all.

judy likes this.
  12. hemster922

I had a yard sale early this spring, and a man stopped by and specifically asked if I had any vinyl records or instruments. My luck, I didn't come across the hoard until after. I'd have probably given them away at the time!

judy likes this.
  13. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Didn't somebody on here post recently that they were looking for old 78's?

hemster922 likes this.
  14. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Most of them only sell for about $2 a piece in an antique or vintage shop.

hemster922 and judy like this.
  15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

And a great many for even less. I checked my local vintage record store, and they said that in general, they are not in the market for buying old records, at any price.
    For almost any title from the past 80 years, issued in the thousands, they already have all they need, and cannot afford to store any more until they may or may not sell; especially considering that many records and jackets are in less than perfect condition. They've already got 10 copies of Elvis' "Love me Tender," in mint condition; they don't want my ratty one.
    There are exceptions of course, and I've done my research before donating most to the local Goodwill, or my library, which does have record and book sales from time to time. Prices, a dollar or two.
    There are some specific records that are very rare; and some genres that are collected; the old 78 "race" records on the Gennett label, 1917-1925 are worth something; and some of the oldest jazz.
    But Guy Lombardo? No. Most rock, 1960-2017, no. Folk music? forget it. My Mom's Hawaiian hula records? No way.
    I do have a 3.75" Beatles pocket-disc, quite rare, that would be worth $300.....if only my ex-wife hadn't lost the jacket.:(

judy, aaroncab and hemster922 like this.
  16. hemster922

What if I tile the floor with them? :D ...i'm thinkin' about it.

Phaik Hooi likes this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hemster, that reminds me of a how-to article I was reading while waiting for some medical tests last week. The attention grabbing headline was:
    DON'T THROW AWAY YOUR OLD PENNIES!
    (It was a how-to for using pennies as a countertop or floor.)

Aside from the fact that I don't WANT pennies on my countertop or floor, I had to wonder: WHO OUT THERE IS THROWING AWAY PENNIES??? (Like, straight into the trash?)

komokwa likes this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

19. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

penny 001.JPG
    That fad seems to have passed. For a couple years I would find many outside the front door of every store I went to. The millennials were insulted to have them in their pockets.

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some old blues records are worth a mint. Most common releases are worth making into flower pots.

As for the pennies, in the US we say to save them up to pay sales tax.

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted