Featured Sooo pretty - but what are they? Porcelain plates with butterflies

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Sep 22, 2015.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Really like these, but couldn't find anything to go on...

?
    1166 beverwil-16.jpg 1166 beverwil-17.jpg 1166 beverwil-18.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi scoutshouse - it's English. James Edwards & Son, Dale Hall, Burslem. According to Godden they are quite old - 1851 to 1882.
    Don

3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

4. scoutshouse

I've never had the lifestyle for formal anything, but I love. We have three pedestal plates and 12 plates, same diameter - for tea? Bloomsbury...

5. scoutshouse

Thank you, dgbwc! porcelain id is a black art to me! Only know what I like in that department...

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They don't have to look that dingey.

plate2.jpg

dgbjwc, Pat P and Messilane like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

No black art - just a little logic and the right reference book:happy:. Edwards sounded English and I had Goddens book handy. And you certainly like the right things!
    Don

8. scoutshouse

I suspected English, and I did stumble on John Edward's site, but that's as far as I got... They weren't on there, AFIK

They are charming!

Thanks again

9. martin stothardo

martin stothardo Martin bbc-antiques York U.K

with that decoration they are 1870s aesthetic , nice hand decorated and yes they are James Edwards

trip98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted