Soup Bowls?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lisa, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Can anyone tell me if these were intended as soup bowls? They are about the size of tea cups but have handles on both sides and a lid. I'm thinking they were originally used as soup bowls. Anyone know? Thanks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The only lidded soup bowls I'm famillier with are Asian or French onion soups....but now looking around I see others ...& some from the 40's ....

So....why not !!

Lisa likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

This CFH GDM (Charles Fielder Haviland) porcelain are probably bullion cups and saucers. These bullion cups may date to the 1880s when this mark was first used according to the following page. Scroll nearly 3/4s of the way down the page for the marks of Charles Fielder Haviland. This may be Mark C-3 in that section.
    http://www.havilandonline.com/backmark.htm

Others with more knowledgeable will no doubt come along with more details.

--- Susan

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Lisa likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

They are indeed bouillon cups, and oldies!

Lisa likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Lisa likes this.
  6. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

As others have said, this is a covered bouillon cup & saucer. In her book "Haviland China, the Age of Elegance" by Nora Travis, she shows several covered bouillon cup & saucers in different shapes/blanks.

Lisa likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Something else to know - this item is likely hobbyist decorated. When decorated by the factory, there is usually a 2nd mark on the back, denoting factory decoration. Mary Frank Gaston says in her book that the CFH/GDM pieces did sometimes not include a decorator's mark. However, this cup hints at a hobbyist painting due to the way that the paint overlaps the edge on the bottom, among other things. Also, the paint has not endured well which is another clue. Ladies during that time period did china painting if they were adept at it.

Lisa likes this.
  8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

ola402, that is a very interesting answer! And actually might answers some questions that I've wondered over the years. I have a lot of china pieces that I've wondered if they were hand painted by my GG or GGG Grandmother. The artistic gene runs in the family, so I wouldn't be surprised (unfortunately, I did not inherit that, Hahaha). This set actually has a bouillon cup & saucer in a different color and different pattern. Therefore, always causing me confusion. I wondered how it could be a set and yet they were so different. Now it's all coming together. Here are a few of the other pieces in the set. Now I'm thinking these were possibly hand painted by my ancestor. Thank you for the information! :)

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think that's a very good assumption. My family had lots of that kind of thing as well. My great aunt loved to paint china (among other things). She was pretty good at it. Your broth cups are just lovely!

Lisa likes this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree. I found a set of 8 cups and saucers signed by a women whose name was the same as a friend of mine's daughter. They made a wonderful wedding present.
    greg

komokwa and Lisa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted