South African Ebony Wood Carvings

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Joseph Urquhart, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Joseph Urquhart

Joseph Urquhart New Member

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some information/ history on these wood carvings?

My mum said that her grandparents brought them over from South Africa around 90 years ago.

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Joseph.
    Your woodcarvings look Makonde to me, from Tanzania or Mozambique.
    This is a later style though, is it possible that your grandparents bought them in the 1970s? By that time Makonde carvings were sold worldwide, so your grandparents could have bought them wherever they lived at the time. Maybe to remind them of Africa.

I will tag someone who may be able to tell you more: @2manybooks .

[​IMG]

3. Joseph Urquhart

Hi,

Thank you for your response!

I passed on the information that you had said to my mother and she had said that she was born in 1969 and that she can always remember them around the house.
    Her grandparents and her mother came from South Africa, this is why she thought that they had come from there.

Any more information would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking with you mother. I think the carvings were fairly new when your mother was born, or they were bought when she was a toddler in the very early 70s.

Let's wait for 2manybooks for a second opinion.:)

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree that the busts are the work of a Makonde artisan, from the region of southeast Tanzania/northeast Mozambique. They are most likely carved from African Blackwood (mpingo/Dalbergia melanoxylon).

In the early 20th century, Portuguese colonizers and missionaries made inroads into Makonde territory on either side of the Rovumba River. The Makonde had a tradition of carving utilitarian items for their own use, as well as masks for ceremonies, and began to make carvings for sale that appealed to European tastes. Commissions requested by missionaries and other European officials helped establish a market for the carvers' work. One carver, Nyekenya Nangundu, is credited with introducing the "Binadamu" style in the early 1930s. These carvings depict realistic figures engaged in daily life, and continue to be made as they are popular tourist souvenirs. Later, more distinctive styles were developed and added to the carvers' repertoire.

I believe your two busts would fall into the category of Binadamu carvings, and could have been made anytime in the early to mid-20th century, consistent with your Mother's memory of them in the household. For comparison, this "vintage" Makonde bust is described as having come through a Benedictine Mission House (the Benedictines have been active in East Africa):
    upload_2021-12-31_17-44-27.jpeg
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/makonde-ebony-carved-art-piece-male-290422585

It is difficult to be more precise about dating such pieces. As "tourist art", they have not been considered worthy of in-depth study which might establish a useful chronology.

You can find more information about the Makonde and their blackwood carvings here:
    https://www.blackwoodconservation.org/makonde-art/

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wonderful depth of information!

@Joseph Urquhart will be very interested when he returns to read it.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Joseph Urquhart

Hi 2manybooks,

Thank you for your in-depth reply. I have showed my mum your reply and she is grateful you could provide a little history on the pieces that she has waited for a long time to receive!

I will have a look at the link you have referenced at the bottom of your post.

Thanks again,

Joseph!

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You are very welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted