Featured South American? Indian rug from a New Hampshire tribe ID help

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Tomaso, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

Hello Everyone,
    To the gurus... This indian rug has me stumped trying to ID it. I bought the rug from my elderly neighbor down the street here in CT. She had a tag sale and this rug was on the wall hidden by a shelf. I caught the edge of it while looking around and bought it. I asked her the history how she acquired it and she told me that she and her husband bought it from a indian tribe in New Hampshire 50 years ago. They told her it was quite old. The rug baffles me because it looks South American yet it has the Navajo symbol of the triangles. I'm pretty sure it is not Navajo because the tassles. Maybe Zapotec? Any thoughts is much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Tom
    Indian rug #1 of 3.jpg Indian rug #2 of 3.jpg Indian rug #3 of 3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Tomaso. I will tag some members for help, @Taupou , @April07 .:)

Tomaso and judy like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Although I can't tell you exactly where it is from, I can tell you it is definitely not Native American Indian, nor is it a Mexican Zapotec weaving.

In identifying a weaving, the design pattern is not a defining feature. Any competent weaver can copy a design. And design patterns can travel world-wide. For example, Navajo weavings originally consisted only of simple stripes, until outside influences introduced the patterns now associated with the Navajo. What is far more important, is the type of loom and specific weaving techniques used in producing the weaving.

It's not Native American, since the only Native American tribe that weaves rugs is the Navajo, and they use a unique type of loom and weaving technique that results in a textile without fringe on both ends.

It may have been purchased in New Hampshire, but it wasn't made there by a local tribe. Before the passage of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990, it was not uncommon for non-Indian items to be sold as Native American to unsuspecting tourists, and although the law has reduced that practice, unfortunately it still hasn't been completely eliminated.

The weaving technique, with the thicker rows creating a pattern in the bands, and the way the tassels are made, indicate it is not Zapotec.

It may be difficult to determine where it is from. The pastel colors suggest a rug much newer than 50 years old, and one made for the decorator market. It could be from a South American country, or it could have been made in China or Pakistan. All I can do is eliminate some possibilities.

4. Any Jewelry

My first impression was Southeastern Europe, Balkans, Greece. I know I have seen those motifs before, but will have to do some 'brain digging'.;)

5. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome and help!
    Regards,
    Tom

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

I beginning to think the sweet old granny down the street might have 100 of these and replaces them barely visible behind the shelf for the next victim strolling in one of her tag sales :)

Sincerely, Thank you for taking the time responding in such detail. Your knowledge is impressive and it helped answer my questions with this enigma. Thank you Taupou!

7. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

I will cross check the patterns with the motifs mentioned above for an education in those areas that I know little about.
    Tom

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I will second the impression that it may be from the Balkans/Greece, or possibly Turkey. It might be helpful to have a close-up of the design areas, to see how they are created.
    Bearing in mind @Taupou's observation that design elements are easily transferable, here is an example of a Turkish flat weave that shows some similar designs:
    [​IMG]

9. Any Jewelry

It certainly does.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had a Iroquois sell me two buffalo horn tips.......
    i was younger.......... both were cow horns..:(:(:(;)

11. Any Jewelry

12. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Very nice, Tom, I think you are on to something.

Tomaso likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted