Featured South Carolina Quilts

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Frank, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

P1170554.JPG P1170555.JPG P1170556.JPG P1170553.JPG P1170558.JPG P1170563.JPG P1170559.JPG P1170562.JPG P1170560.JPG I have a pair of quilts that came from the Edgefield, South Carolina, area. They belonged to an ancestor, Milton Scott Walker (1841 - 1919), Co. D, 14th SC Vol. Inf.

These are huge! The first, with the round design, is 8'x8.5', while the second measures 9'x9'. Family tradition suggests that these were made between 1855 and 1870. Someone with more knowledge of textiles could probably assign a more exact date.

I thought y'all might be interested in seeing them, and I look forward to your insights/observations/comments.

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Rounded corners yet. I can't so much as thread a needle but love these. Nice they have been preserved in the family. I had to abandon a small one my grandmother, who probably never made another, made for my mother's childhood bed. There were so many nice things I just had no room for when the time came.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I would keep those in the family too. They're pretty awesome. From what little I know of Civil War era quilts, those dates look about right. The colors look fantastic for that age. Keep them out of direct sunlight. I'd have guessed 1870-ish without the family history (1865-1875) just from the fabrics.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Beautiful quilts!
    I see that the first one, with the starburst patterns, shows an unfortunate type of deterioration that is often seen in 19th century fabrics. The dark brown diamonds on the outer ring of the starbursts have deteriorated, exposing the cotton batting underneath. We often see this in dark colored fabrics that were dyed with the use of iron based mordants. These become acidic over time, and cause the fabric to disintegrate.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, it pretty well guarantees the age.

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Joyous and colorful.

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just noticed the colorful floral piping on the first one. Nice touch.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Love 'em!

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are lovely..

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These are outrageously gorgeous!! :cat:

12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Late to thread & i know nothing about quilts but, Edgefield SC is rather famous for pottery as well which, i know nuttin about pots either! :hilarious: but, i did see a "dave the slave" Edgefield pot sell for a world record price there a couple years ago.

13. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

My wife and I don't have children, and no relatives that are interested in these quilts, and we don't have the room or facilities to give them the care they need.

So, I've been in touch with the Edgefield County Historical Society, and they will soon have possession of these.

I wanted to share them here before that happens though. I'm glad y'all enjoyed seeing them, and I certainly appreciate your comments.

Thank you all for your comments!

Frank

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful quilts, and thank you for passing them on to somebody who can and will preserve them!

Draft saved Draft deleted