Southwest US/Northern Mexico

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by smallaxe, Dec 29, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Folks here are pretty clever, so maybe you all can help me solve a photo mystery. This photo is one of many photos taken by my wife's great grandfather between 1902 and 1905 during numerous trips to south east Arizona to visit mines in which he was involved. I've identified the location of most of the photos, but several have me stumped. What makes it harder (besides the fact that none of the photos are labeled) is that he also took some photos during the rail journey to Tucson AZ (there is one of Judge Roy Bean's house in Langtry Texas). He also may have taken some photos in northern Mexico.
    Here is a photo of a church or mission that I've spent many hours unsuccessfully searching to find the location. Another of his photos shows the St. Xavier del Bac mission that's just south of Tucson. This doesn't look like that building. I'm hoping the clothing may provide a clue. Also, several people have their hand to their mouth. At first I thought they were hiding their face from the camera, but I think they are chewing something. Maybe that's a cultural clue. Finally, there is a young person in the photo, and it seems like I remember seeing a Henry S Curtis photo showing a man with a similar hat and wrapped the same, but I sure can't find it now. If anyone knows where this is, or can offer some insight that might provide clues, I will be in your debt.

GBL-A2-049.jpg GBL-A2-049clip.jpg GBL-A2-049clip2.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

coca leaves.....perhaps central america........

judy likes this.
  3. smallaxe

I wondered about that. But I've accumulated a lot of info on my wife's great grandfather, and I've found no hint that he traveled further south than Mexico City. His travel was business related, and his ventures were all in the US, northern Mexico, and Cuba (although I've found no evidence he ever traveled to Cuba).

judy likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The sombreros are definitely Mexican.

Any Jewelry, judy and Roaring20s like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The building may not be a church or mission. I don't see any Christian symbols on the doorway, and the main entrance to a church is usually not located on a wide, largely undecorated wall. It may just be an administrative building of some sort, in typical colonial style.

judy and blooey like this.
  7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It's the correct style for an old Spanish Mission. Just a cross atop the church.

judy, 2manybooks and smallaxe like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To the best of your knowledge, did he travel mostly by rail? And where did he start his journey?

Debora

9. smallaxe

Yes, he traveled by raiil (sometimes in private car) to the nearest depot, and then by buggy or wagon from there to more remote locations. He had an office in New York city, but lived in Bethlehem PA. He was involved in mining in southeast AZ which he visited many times. He also had an interest in a mine near Durango Mexico, and business dealings with the British man who started the development of Mexican oilfields near Furberos Mexico, a small town east of Mexico City that was named after the British man.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If you hover over the name of a cathedral in the list you can view a picture of how they look today. Don't know if yours is there but it's not too hard to browse through. Of course your photo could be of a side entrance or something I'd suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cathedrals_in_Mexico

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

As a small aside about the Mexican people covering their mouths:
    It's well documented that many believe that cameras steal their souls. Some research has been done claiming it's true. The covering of the mouth is one gesture to stop the camera from stealing the soul. Ref. Cameras Steal Souls.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you looked at a railroad map from the period to see where he might have passed through on his way to Durango? From the lack of vegetation, could well be northern México. If it's a church, it would be part of a good-sized town's central plaza. But it does lack any religious markings so could be a building of another type. A university, for instance. Here's Durango's.

Debora

220px-FundadoresDurango009.jpg

2manybooks, Figtree3 and smallaxe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted