Southwestern Carved Pottery Charger

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2134.JPG No marks found. Any thoughts?

aaroncab likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not Southwestern, but southeastern. As in southeastern Europe.;)
    The dress is from the Balkans, could be Bulgaria, Greece, a former Yugoslavian country. Those stylized birds are found throughout southern Europe.

3. kardinalisimo

Thanks. I was waaay off then.

judy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The loom looks a bit similar to something a Navajo lady might use, but everything else is off. Probably the loom too. Roses have always been associated with Bulgaria, they grow some of the best perfume roses to this day, but those flowered scarves always look Russian to me. Meanwhile, the outer decoration looks like something off a Caucasian rug.... Any is probably dead on, but for my money it's the kind of thing where you can throw a dart at the map.

aaroncab, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The loom is actually a type of standard floor loom, completely different from the upright loom used by the Navajo. But figuring out what specific culture (if any) is being depicted on the charger, doesn't necessarily mean that's where the piece originated from.

aaroncab, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

You're right, they are seen a lot in Russia. But they are all over Europe, especially the poorer areas, a cheap and cheerful way to look nice.
    Here is one from Bulgaria:
    [​IMG]
    They also have flowered shawls in Bulgaria:
    [​IMG]

My favourite way of wearing the flower scarf, northern Portugal:
    [​IMG]

From Asia, Kurdish women:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    aaroncab likes this.
  7. kardinalisimo

I don't have a dart, neither a map. Can someone throw it for me? :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Mine landed in Bulgaria. Managed to retrieve it, don't want to cause an international incident.:)

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't suppose it matters much; hang it on the wall of a spare bedroom and call it solved?

Draft saved Draft deleted