Featured Southwestern? Mexican? Colorful woven rug/blanket

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by laura9797, Oct 7, 2021.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I am assuming this is Mexican but I am not really seeing any fighting eagles quite like this? Measures approx. 61 x 44 inches. Thank you! item_5785_catimage_1.jpg item_5785_catimage_6.jpg item_5785_catimage_7.jpg

LauraGarnet02, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Flying condors, about to land or grab a prey?:)

LauraGarnet02, judy and smallaxe like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The birds do resemble birds commonly found on weavings from Peru and Ecuador, which would be more likely to have Andean Condors. Some California condors have been found in Baja, but Andean Condors are primarily from the Andes, not Mexico, so I'm thinking farther south, more like South America for the rug.

4. laura9797

Would this be considered 'tribal'?

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. laura9797

The more I look the more I am inclined to say Central American Zapotec Style?

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Some place with volcanos.

Debora

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  7. laura9797

I think those are considered mountains....

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They have flat tops. So they're either volcanos or -- more likely -- pyramids.

Debora

reader likes this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Zapotec is Mexican, not Central American although it is S. Mexico. Mexico is N America. I agree with Taupou that the rug was made in S America but that’s just a gut feeling.
    IMO it’s a tourist piece but if it’s being sold TRIBAL could be a keyword on a decorative level although the piece isn’t tribal./

laura9797, Debora and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you for that, it is one of my pet peeves. For some reason many people forget that Mexico is situated firmly in North America. Some even place it in South America.:rolleyes:
    Another one is when people talk about "Incas from Mexico".:arghh:

laura9797, DrPam, Firemandk and 2 others like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

One of mine too. An easy to use term and an accurate one is "Latin America."

Debora

DrPam, Taupou and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree and that one is inclusive of Mexico although now in this era of over the top political correctness (IMO) there are people from that part of the world that resent the term “Latin” since it refers back to language and colonization. Ya can’t win!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry , shouldn't discount those Mexican inkas, they have one in the Met ! :woot:

main-image.jpg :facepalm:

laura9797 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted