Southwestern? Navajo? Large redware handled pot or vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Apr 23, 2020.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

My client got this from her mother who had it shipped from an antique store but doesn't remember from where but back in the 80's or 90's. They ended up using it as a table in the crate :bigtears:! I didn't bother photographing the oval glass top they put on top of the crate! Thoughts? Not heavy just large and in charge :doctor:
    Thanks for looking! cratedpotresized.jpg cratedpotresized1.jpg IMG_6722.JPEG IMG_6724.JPEG IMG_6725.JPEG

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

No, it isn't Southwestern, Native American, Navajo or any other tribe, although the colors and modified triangular patterns are probably "inspired by" or intended to create the impression that it is.

The form itself, however, thrown on a potters wheel, with the rounded bottom, and odd-shaped handles (unlike any Native American pottery), along with the dark "firing clouds" and spotted black marks, are a good indication that it was made in Indonesia for the decorator market. Import shops were flooded with this distinctive type of redware pottery in the last couple decades of the 20th century, and pieces still are showing up in thrift shops and the like.

This is one of the larger pieces I've seen. Most of the time it's a plate or small bowl, usually combined with a wicker rim. But the spotted finish of the clay itself is characteristic, and a main identifying feature.

3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thank you Taupou! I just couldn't figure this one out. I am sure the client's mother was told something completely different!

Draft saved Draft deleted